Full Sternal Opening.....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am well over a year out and still get on a weekly basis different sensations/pains that can range from a hot poking pain in the sternum to itchiness around the incision or general tightness (like a coat of armour around my chest) and soreness for a good day or so after doing any kind of exercise that involves the upper muscles (yoga, light weights etc). Hoping this will get better with time .:)
Have been referred for a sternal wire removal consultation, but haven't conjured up the courage to go back for more surgery (even if it is minor).
It is encouraging to read posts where others have very little sternal pain even after a 2nd op.

Last edited:
For those who have had their chests fully opened, no matter the number of years since are any of you totally ache, pain, throb, sensation free at your incision site? Does weather never effect it, are you never aware it has been cracked open?

I can't say I'm completely ache/pain/throb/sensation-free at my incision areas. It isn't a constant situation ... and I only notice it when I'm quiet, etc. It used to be annoying, but I've become used to it. Though, sometimes, I "panic", thinking it may be something more ... then it goes away.... *shrugs*

As far as weather affecting it ... yeah, somewhat.

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_07.30.11_Cold.Treat *
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Now, how do you feel?" __ Dido __ 'Don't Think Of Me'

Mine bothered me for a couple of years after my surgery. No lingering pain per se, but just very sensitive. I couldn't do anything that put any pressure on chest, like one of the rowing machines at the gym where you put your chest against a pad.

Ten years now and it feels ok.

Mark

After getting back to "normal" (consistently feeling well w/out taking one step forward, two steps backwards), I haven't had any problems with sensations in the sternum.

Apart from the healing time, I've not had any pain in my sternum. In fact, by the time I had the second surgery, they had updated their techniques to where I could actually sleep on either side (yes, even the left side) from the day I got home.

My surgery was nearly 8 years ago. I have slept on my right side for years -- left was too uncomfortable. However, I was able to sleep or rest on my left side while in the hospital. I was amazed.

I have that little valley at the bottom, too. I just pressed it a little bit and it's sore; always has been, as is the entire area at the 'split' line. it's been 11 yrs for me.

Found out last month in a chest x-ray that I have five wires. Always wondered and could never join a conversation where that number was discussed.

For those who have had their chests fully opened, no matter the number of years since are any of you totally ache, pain, throb, sensation free at your incision site? Does weather never effect it, are you never aware it has been cracked open?
Thanks.

I have a 10" incision with a 2" "V" sitting atop the incision and closed with "wires"(still in place). Over the years I had periodically experienced discomfort of the chest at the incision along with more severe spinal pain which I thought was due to spreading the ribs. I always thought that these pains were "weather related" but the docs have assured me that the spinal pain is unrelated to the surgery and is due to a couple "degenerative disks". About ten years ago I began to exercise regularly to minimize the spinal pain and also noticed that the chest discomfort nearly disappeared along with most of the spinal pain. I still think that "weather"....and probably a little arthritis:frown2: and age:redface2:... does cause a little discomfort, but exercise really helps:smile2:.

I totally agree exercise post heart surgery is very important. All my doctors independently of the others commented to me my rapid recovery from my second OHS four years after the first could in all likelihood be the result of taking good care of myself including regular exercise.

Just walking makes a very big difference.

After my first surgery I had nothing but problems with sternal pain. I had my wires removed after 6 months and can honestly say that after the short healing period after having them removed I never had any sternal pain again.

I just had my 2nd surgery 2.5 weeks ago so it's a bit early to make a call, but like Bob I was able to sleep on my side with no pain as soon as I got home (this was not the case the first time). I have had a bad cough for over a week and that has not been fun...plenty of pain with that. But it is getting better quickly since I finally got on the right medication to resolve the matter. Hopefully this time the wires won't bother me as my surgeon was aware of my problems the first time.

Since my surgery, the small *bump* at the top of my sternum hurt/s when I touch it or move my shoulders sideways suddenly.

Since this past December I started feeling as if one of the ribs popped out of place...as if it protruded! Underneath it, it feels hollow and painful to the touch as if it there is a bruise! I noticed I feel this most on the days I carry/lift or move furniture around. Also, it has been unusually cold this past winter for me.

The X-rays my PCP ordered did not show anything unusual...they only showed neat five *bow-tie* wires. It is annoying! This bruise-pain sensation goes aways sometimes when I rub that area with Aquaphor; yet, I shall wait to see what my cardio thinks.

9 months post op and I do have some pain in the left rib cage. I notice alot when I first wake up in the morning and I feel a deep itchy sensation around the pace maker and top part of the sternum scar. The itchy feeling is almost daily and I am not able to scratch it and get it to go away. I aslo get pressure like a weight has been place on my chest and is squeezing my lungs, it will go away if I just take a few deep breaths and realx,sit down. The worst is thedeep itchy feeling it is like in the tissue or something.

9 months post op and I do have some pain in the left rib cage. I notice alot when I first wake up in the morning and I feel a deep itchy sensation around the pace maker .
The pace maker is implanted in a pocket of muscle (mine is an ICD) and the arm movement keeps the pocket irritaed long after the sternum heal as the two are not related
and top part of the sternum scar. The itchy feeling is almost daily and I am not able to scratch it and get it to go away. I aslo get pressure like a weight has been place on my chest and is squeezing my lungs, it will go away if I just take a few deep breaths and realx,sit down. The worst is thedeep itchy feeling it is like in the tissue or something.
I would think what you described is maybe angina and you may want to speak to your cardio about that ....I wore nitro patches at first to relieve the angina

I've had two, with the last being 5 years ago. I haven't had any problems at all with sternum pain. Except if the cat stands on my chest and puts all her weight on a wire or something. She's a pretty fat cat!

Does anyone get like a tite feeling in their throat.Am 10mths post op and get these funny feelings of like a slite titening of my wind pipe.Also get palpitations everyday not for long but still very frustrating.Am on cardicor 2.5mg and ecotrin 81mg.Hate feeling like I am moaning but miss feeling normal.

My surgery was 15 weeks ago, so far havn't noticed any consistant tweeks of pain, other than the ones that happen when I move abruptly in the wrong direction.

I had surgery in 2004 and the first few years it bothered me really bad but now it's fine. Because of the replaced knee and my sternum I can always tell you when it's going to rain. My knee hurts like cracy. Also this last October when we went to Hawaii and coming back home I could not get through the check out at the Hawaii airport. They literally searched me down, especially around my sternum and knee area. They also was picking up the metal in my bra. It really didn't bother me because I had nothing to hide. I told the lady, thank goodness it was a lady, to go for it. I carry a card for both things but they didn't pay any attention to them. I am looking at another valve replacement in the very near future and I'm sure not looking forward to it.

Latest posts

Back