Forgot last nights Warfarin!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natanni

Okay, we realized @ 10:00 this am that he forgot his 5mg of Warfarin last night. We were on our way to daughters figure skate competititon. We just got home, so now what does he do now? Does he take a full 5mg now and again 5mg tonight or what or a 2.5mg tonight? He does 35mg per week. He normally tests every Sunday, so should he just test as usual?

I would take 1/2 the missed dose in addition to today's dose and do the same tomorrow. He should be fine from there.

Thank you THANK YOU Geebee for your fast response!!! I have been so nervous I am just shaking.

Okay, so he just took 5mg 20 minutes ago. So should he take the 2.5mg now also and then tomorrow also take the total of 7.5mg and then go back on the 5mg?

Thank you so much again. You should have seen us when we realized he didn't take his pillls last night! He is all calm, and I am demanding that we stop at the nearest gas station to get some baby ASA or 325mgs...he is all "everything will be okay".....and we are in the middle of snowstorm driving 2 hours for our daughter's competition. What a mess!!

Should he just test as normal then? He is always on the lower end, usually 2.6 so that is why I was just anxious.

You can either do as Gina said and take half and half with the next two doses or just forget it and go back to schedule. It happens now and then. It's nothing to get frazzled about.

If missing one dose caused major harm, there would not be enough people left to make this site interesting. Despite what the information that comes with the prescription says, make the dose up over then next two days. It does not really matter how.

I wouldn't test tomorrow because it will probably be low. Unless the warfarin dose was changed recently, wait and test next week when things are back stable.

Natanni said:
Thank you THANK YOU Geebee for your fast response!!! I have been so nervous I am just shaking.

Okay, so he just took 5mg 20 minutes ago. So should he take the 2.5mg now also and then tomorrow also take the total of 7.5mg and then go back on the 5mg?

Thank you so much again. You should have seen us when we realized he didn't take his pillls last night! He is all calm, and I am demanding that we stop at the nearest gas station to get some baby ASA or 325mgs...he is all "everything will be okay".....and we are in the middle of snowstorm driving 2 hours for our daughter's competition. What a mess!!

Should he just test as normal then? He is always on the lower end, usually 2.6 so that is why I was just anxious.

It happens sometimes and is not a huge deal since coumadin does not usually drop out of your system that fast. Whatever his normal dose is for today and tomorrow, just add 2.5mg to that dose. So, if he normally takes 5mg on Sunday and Monday, he should take 7.5 and go back to normal dose on Tuesday.

Even if he forgot a dose and didn't make it up, it is likely you might never realize it.

As Al said, I would not retest for a few days or even wait until next Sunday when all the doses are back to normal.

He'll be fine. I do what Gina suggested when I miss a dose and split the missed dose over the 2 days. But Ross' suggestion works too. And Amen Al!

Latest posts

Back