For those with tissue valves: a question about aspirin.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While waiting surgery in the hospital I shared a room with a man who had an organic valve, but experienced a stroke. I got a bit freaked about this and when I got home, I not only took 81 mg of aspirin at bedtime but a glass of wine as well. You know, they say that a glass of red at bed, will keep you healthy. BTW, I read somewhere that most strokes happen at night so I started taking my baby aspirin two hours before bedtime.

I am quite content to continue the aspirin regime for the rest of my life if it will prevent a chance of stroke.

George

Valerie,

I have two tissue valves, aortic and mitral. I take the 325 coated aspirins, everyday. About an hour or so after I eat dinner. No issues. I also take atenolol, which I now like, simply because it slows me down a bit. I am a type "A", so I can get wound up quite easily.

Figure I will be on the aspirin forever, but to this point, tolerate this well.

Good luck in your recovery, sounds like you are doing well.

Hi there. I am on a 325mg of aspirin once daily for 3 months. Then it will be nothing thank god! But I have read a lot of people take the 81mg dose still.

I've got a bovine valve, and I'm 5 years out of replacement. I suffered some TIA's before replacement, so I take 325mg of enteric coated aspirin a day.

We take the same dosage, Mary.

I have a pig's valve ... and take 325mg every morning.

Cort | 36.m.IL | 5 Monte Carlos.1 Caprice Classic | pig valve.pacemaker * NoreastrTrekRT=Aug2010 *
MCs.CC | models.HO.legos.CHD.RadioShows | RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Take your time, hurry up" ... Nirvana ... 'Come As You Are'

Hi fellow tissue valve owners!! I have a bovine valve and am 5 and a half weeks post-op. I called my surgeon today to ask if I could stop the metoprolol and aspirin (as I'd run out of the first prescription of both). The dr. said I could stop the metoprolol if my Family doctor says okay, but that I would need to take my 81mg aspirins one a day "forever".

I was a little downhearted at this news, as forever is a long long time, and I was hopefully thinking I wouldn't have to take anything. Plus I've heard that some docs only prescribe it for a month, others for 3 months. I'm just wondering if it really is necessary to take it forever and if there is a big risk in not taking it.

I'm also wondering if certain herbal supplements could do the trick just as well: I already take Carlson's omega 3 fish oil, and raw garlic, and I would like to resume taking Dan Shen, which I can't take if I'm taking aspirin. I believe all these things do the same as aspirin, but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks for sharing any wisdom you may have on the topic! I really appreciate it.

--Valerie :)

Hi, I stopped taking aspirin altogether three months after surgery. I am pretty sensitive to any medications so even in hospital after one day I was questioning every medication that they were giving me, 'what is that, what is it for, do I have to have it or is it optional?' I have a medical background so this was another reason for all the questions. I wasn't even happy to take the aspirin for three months with a tissue valve but my cardiologist gave me a really good explanation as to why and I was happy with that. (He said that there was no evidence to show that it would be harmful not to take it, but that chances were it would prolong the life of my tissue valve). But yes, I stopped at three months and have had no issues. I am not taking any heart-related medications, unless you count the Topamax I am on for the migraines that have plagued me since my valve surgery

There is no evidence that I have ever come across that aspirin, or anything else has ever been shown to have a positive effect on the life of any tissue valve.

Aspirin (or Coumadin or Plavix or a mix) is taken during the first three months after the surgery for a tissue valve (or six months if there is work also done on the aorta). This is because it takes that long for the body to fully regenerate the endothelium ("inside skin") to cover the wound in the inside of the aorta/heart where the blood flows through. The uncovered wound tissue can be a stopping place for clots and an opening for infective endocarditis. The aspirin or other clotting factor reducers lower the chances of you getting a clot (which could become a heart attack or stroke). The raised risk of infective endocarditis is why they tell you not to get any minor surgeries, intrusive tests (such as colonoscopy), or dental work done for at least three months after the surgery.

Taking it afterwards is good (assuming you have no alergies to salycilates) if you are over 50 (and thus have an age-related stroke risk factor) or if you have some evidence of coronary artery disease. While it will not slow the progress of CAD, aspirin can reduce the chances of a heart attack from it, or it can reduce the damage that one may produce.

Best wishes,

Hi Valerie,

I'm a fellow bovine valve owner, also female and 60. I have to take 325 mg. of aspirin for the rest of my life. It doesn't bother me to do so; I figure it's a small price to pay for more living. I'd talk to your cardiologist about herbal supplements if I were you -- I've just gotten the go-ahead to take any herbal supps. that I want to, and I'm ten months post-surgery.

Hi, I stopped taking aspirin altogether three months after surgery. I am pretty sensitive to any medications so even in hospital after one day I was questioning every medication that they were giving me, 'what is that, what is it for, do I have to have it or is it optional?' I have a medical background so this was another reason for all the questions. I wasn't even happy to take the aspirin for three months with a tissue valve but my cardiologist gave me a really good explanation as to why and I was happy with that. (He said that there was no evidence to show that it would be harmful not to take it, but that chances were it would prolong the life of my tissue valve). But yes, I stopped at three months and have had no issues. I am not taking any heart-related medications, unless you count the Topamax I am on for the migraines that have plagued me since my valve surgery
I did read something recently about pannus and how proper anticoagulation early in the life of a valve can reduce [the incidence? of] that potential problem. I wondered when I read it if it was in reference to those first three post-op months that many with tissue valves are on extra anticoagulation, either Coumadin (as I was) or higher aspirin dosages.

Edit - Can't find the link after a quick search but will look further if anyone is interested. I did find some web references in regard to "inadequate anticoagulation [possibly] leading to pannus formation."

I'm 28 with a bovine tissue valve implanted about 4 years ago. I've been taking the full dose 325mg aspirin daily since surgery and was told by both my surgeon and my cardio that I would have to continue this for life - my surgeon said i could go a few days at most without it. My understanding was that this was to prevent clots but I never heard anything about it potentially prolonging the life of the valve. Some of the posts seem to suggest that the aspirin regimen is not necessary and I have heard that there is some disagreement over this issue amongst the medical community. Maybe I will talk to my cardio to see if his position has changed or if I can possibly drop down to 81mg.

Latest posts

Back