For those in the waiting room: a brief summary of my days in the hospital!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, This is my first on this forum, just got my surgery date, 10/18. Up until now I had pretty much ignored my hearts condition, I mean after all my doctor has been telling me for fourteen years that "someday" I'll need surgery and I guess I didn't think it would actually come. Well now it has and it's a bit scary but reading these posts has made me feel much better. I particularly like the hair and toenail comments although as a sixty year old male I'm not sure they hold the same significance. Also I was interested in the beef and wine discussion and if no one minds I have a question, how about seafood and rum?

Seafood and rum is no problems. Its green veges that are the issue.

Speaking of veges take some Korean kimchi to hospital with you as it'll help you avoid the movicol (or worse) if you don't drop the bomb soon after you get back to the ward.

:)

Hi, This is my first on this forum, just got my surgery date, 10/18. Up until now I had pretty much ignored my hearts condition, I mean after all my doctor has been telling me for fourteen years that "someday" I'll need surgery and I guess I didn't think it would actually come. Well now it has and it's a bit scary but reading these posts has made me feel much better. I particularly like the hair and toenail comments although as a sixty year old male I'm not sure they hold the same significance. Also I was interested in the beef and wine discussion and if no one minds I have a question, how about seafood and rum?

Ahhh Capt Jim you sound like a man after my own heart! I love nothing more than a coconut shrimp and a Cuba libre! Have you ever tried Eldorado rum from Guyana? Its sublime. I too thought that i was never gonna REALLY need surgery, wouldnt they just keep doing echocardiograms forever, right? Well my turn comes next month too, and ya know what i a almost glad. Lets fix this thing, get it over with and back to my life. I have chosen a tissue valve, for much the same reasons as HeatherAnne stated above, and what a relief it was to finally choose. Welcome to the party, i only joined a week ago and it has helped me so much. Pretty supportive nice bunch here. We all have big hearts, so to speak. :cool:

I like baked fillet of cod, steamed clams and red potatoes with cheese, followed by a couple of glasses of Mount Gay and water. I'm having that at the first opportunity post-op. Shellbell, I have an appointment with my surgeon on 9/24, I'll be thinking of you on that day, wish you all the best.

Best of luck to both of you, and before you know it, you'll be marking each day of post-op improvement with a sense of relief and wonder (I'm actually quite impressed with the human body's recuperative powers, and it's not because I have a body that's particularly good at it!).

I'm curious abt a seemingly simple thing related to the post-surgical pain. Specifically, will I be able to easily lift my arms to put on T-shirts and sweatshirts? My surgery is in December; there will be a chill in the air. Thanks!

I had zero problems putting on T-shirts when I got home (4 days post op). If you move your arms in a way that causes pain, modify the movement a bit and you'll find a way.

Me, too. Pulling stuff over my head -- shirts, etc., was no problem. Hooking a bra in the back was a bit gnarly at first, but I wore pull-over sports bras instead. (Not sure if you care about that particular bit of advice, ragnar!)

Dealing with a bra seems a lot easier if you're not the one wearing it

Latest posts

Back