Food Ideas For Those On Chewable Restricted Diets

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually have a couscous casserole on hand in the freezer for lunches, together with soups and paellas--again, soft but spicy, and no need for chewing. I like it because it fits my WW Core, is low to nonexistent in sodium, and is filling. It also freezes well, so I make a big batch and freeze individual portions.

Recipe! Recipe! :)

Marsha, there ain't no recipes! The couscous is a variation of a basic paella recipe.
Paella:
saute 1 large onion chopped, in some olive oil in a dutch oven or stock pot. Add some shredded carrots (1 bag), celery (oh 4 stalks or so) & minced garlic (3 or more cloves). saute a while (if you can get the carrots and onions to caramelize, its yummy). Add about 2-3 cups of sodium free chicken broth, and your favorite herbs. (I use turmeric, and that green powdery stuff you put in Mexican dishes & chili--dang I can't think of the name, plus some Mrs. Dash SW chipotle). Toss in some frozen peas, okra, snap peas, tomatos, whatever's on hand, bring to a low boil. Add brown rice (a cup or so-I think the ratio is 2 cups water to 1 cup rice, but I add enough water to cover the veggies and fish-use less if you like drier rice). Add fish fillets, shrimp, etc., and simmer on low until the water is absorbed. Stir and serve. You can add the more delicate fish and shell fish when the rice is half cooked, if you don't want the fish breaking up, but I frequently just slide in frozen fillets with the rice--I'm lazy.

Couscous cooks really fast, and can be made with just couscous and broth (1 cup water to 1.25 cup couscous). It can be served in lieu of pasta with chili or spaghetti sauce, or topped with cheese or butter in lieu of potatos.

I like to use it as the base for a simple one-pot meal I take for lunch at work that helps me keep my veggie intake consistent: I saute the fresh veggies, bring the cooked veggies, broth, seasonings and frozen veggies to a boil, add the couscous, remove from heat and cover, let sit for 5 minutes. Serve as a side dish, or stir in saute'd ground beef or turkey, or top with shredded cheese for a one-dish meal.

For lunches I cook the couscous with just saute'd veggies, broth, and seasonings, divide that into single serving tupperware, toss in some frozen veggies a soy burger or saute'd ground meat in each, and pop the single servings into the freezer. Heat, stir and eat.

Latest posts

Back