Follow-up with surgeon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TFBruce

I went for my 3 week follow-up visit with my surgeon Tuesday, and it was so very encouraging! He released me to drive and to start working from home, beginning Monday. He said my heart beat sounds perfect and I am done with him.
I go see my cardiologist next Wednesday/week 4 to schedule my echo in about 3 months. Sounds like I will just go see my cardiologist annually for an echo.
I have not considered cardiac rehab, but have read threads where it has been very beneficial, so may look into that, too.

I wish everyone a very happy New Year!!!
Bruce

It feels good to get those follow up visits done and out of the way.
Many docs prefer if patients don't drive for 6-8 weeks if they are going to be behind an air bag loaded steering wheel or dashboard.
Even in a minor fender-bender, that bag going off could damage your healing sternum.
Working from home will be a bonus for you!

Happy to hear your good news. Congratulations.

My first OHS, my cardio did not release me to drive until 8-9 weeks or so. Same cardio, four years later, released me to drive at 3 weeks after my second surgery. It is the same risk for air bags whether driver or passenger unless you sit in the back seat. I always placed a pillow between me and the seatbelt just to be more comfortable. It was winter and I was wearing thick winter coats. Perhaps that might have helped a bit in the event of an accident.

Congratulations, Bruce, on the good news. I hope you continue to feel better every day. As for driving, I was not allowed to drive before 6 weeks and not on highways so that I would not be exposed to accidents! Well, your surgeon knows better.

Bruce cardio rehab is great if you have no self motivation, but if you do, you don't need to go to it. I start out with great intentions and then fall off the horse, so for me, it was beneficial and at the time, I thought they were trying to kill me.

So glad you are starting the New Year so happy and healthy- Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back