First Rodeo - For my new heart anyway

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnfreeman62

When I scheduled my AVR for November 13, 2008 my goal was to compete at the Guymon Pioneer Days Rodeo May 1, 2009. Well I am entered and hitting the road tomorrow.

Various issues, mostly business and horse not health, have prevented me from getting as much practice in as I would like but I have been able to do some and am feeling great.

My surgeon is very supportive, my cardiologist is not but this carrot has been my motivation for all the work I have put in since November that is a positive to my overall mental and physical health. I think it important that we all have something out there to give hope and motivation.

Wish me luck.

Good for you. It must be exciting right now. Just remember to back off if things are going as well as you're used to. Anxious to hear how everything goes.

Hey John, have lots of fun on your ride!! You are trying and that's what counts!! Do your best and that's all you can do. Good luck, have fun, and get pic's to show your doc's!! Debbie :)

Absolutely fantastic ..................

Absolutely fantastic ..................

What event are you competing in? And do you ride a QH?

Well, I certainly hope he's not a bull rider. That would be a problem. But a QH, yeah it's worth getting back in the saddle.

John....nothing like getting back to doing what you love. We all need a passion!!
Thanks for posting such and encouraging message.

OH BOY, A RODEO! we lived in a cowtown for 20 yrs and had a rodeo twice a year. what fun. wishing you all the best and hope you win a prize.

one of our cowboys gave my little son his hat every year. it was Chuck's lucky hat til the next one came along.

fantastic. I have been riding for a a good while. My riding instructor was/is on the pro circuit. She is a top ranked barrel racer. She has a new colt and asked if I felt up to breaking it. I'm not sure about that--not looking for any broken bones at my age. Good luck! Nothing beats a good fast canter --what a rush. Beats the motorcycles I used to ride.
"Momma don't let your son grow up be a cowboy"; Willie Nelson.

No Money But I Feel Like A Winner

No Money But I Feel Like A Winner

Well I didn't come back with any money or prizes but I feel like one of the biggest winners of the rodeo. It was awesome to be back amongst my friends, on my horse and in the arena.

Thanks for all the wishes of luck, and admonishments to be careful. I will try and answer some of the questions that were asked. I was competing in a PRCA sanctioned rodeo in the event single steer roping. In that event I rope a full grown steer by the horns, weighing anywhere from 400-650 pounds. I flip my rope over his right hip and turn my horse to the left, hopefully bringing the steer down. I then jump off my horse and tie the steer by three legs. Fastest time wins.
Sometimes they are easy, sometimes its a bit of a wrestling match. Luck of the draw plays a big part -as does the horse.
Every cowboy you ever see at a rodeo is riding an American Quarter Horse. Every now and then you will see a barrel racer on a horse with some thoroughbred.

At this rodeo there were about 110 guys entered in my event. We all roped four steers, with the fastest getting a chance at a fifth. You have chances at money in every round and being among the fastest total on five head.

I managed to tie down the first three but missed my fourth. I was looking pretty fast on my third steer with a good chance at some cash when my horse decided to walk off, taking my steer with him. He stopped after a couple yards but the damage was done.

It still find it hard to believe that this all has actually happened. Six months ago I was paralyzed by the fear of my coming surgery. Now I am back in the game. I know it doesn't work out quite so well for everybody but I am proof there is certainly hope.

I followed doctors orders, watch what I eat, go to the gym almost every day and put in my work and embrace every day as another chance at life.

Good luck to everybody and Let Er Buck!!

Glad to hear you had a wonderful time. Sounds like you have to train that horse better. Better luck in the future.

Well, it's the first time anyone here took grabbing the steer by the horns so literally. This would have been unthinkable 10 years ago. The reports I read on this site get more amazing every year. Keep em coming.

Grabbing the horns

Grabbing the horns

Some guys were practicing bulldogging at my arena a couple weeks ago and I did throw one down - just to say I did it. I don't intend to resume that event.

Latest posts

Back