First Race Post-op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip

I ran my first race post-op today and had a blast. I was very slow but enjoyed the event after not racing for so long. I dominated the 50 year old with aortic valve replacement and freckles division. My original intent was to get in good enough shape to join the middle of the pack crowd before racing but after pericarditis followed by endocarditis I chose to leave my ego at home and seize the first opportunity.

The race was a local 5K and my time was 27:58.
Mile 1: 8:15 this didn?t feel too bad but I knew I couldn?t hold pace so I backed off.
Mile 2: 9:22 I didn?t intend to back off that much; I obviously need to re-develop a feel for pace
Mile 3: 9:24
Last .1: 0:56

My heart rate has returned to the pattern I had when I first started running post-op. I get a spike in the first 30 to 100 meters into the run (today it hit 171) then returns to a rate appropriate for the pace within 800 meters. Today I settled in at the mid 150 range.

It was nice running at this pace. I have never been a front of the pack runner but once ran with a group that took racing a lot more seriously, perhaps too seriously. At this pace there was conservation and laughter during the race. The goal for most seemed to be geared more to having a good work out, enjoying the company of friends and the post race party. I think a few had even visited the beer truck before the race. I hope some of this rubs off on me.

Speaking of the post race party; the post race meal was fried catfish, red beans and rice with sausage, jambalaya and beer, lots of beer. Now there?s a heart healthy meal.

I hope to run my next race 2/25/07

Philip

Philip said:
I ran my first race post-op today and had a blast. I was very slow but enjoyed the event after not racing for so long. I dominated the 50 year old with aortic valve replacement and freckles division. . . . .. . .
I hope to run my next race 2/25/07
Philip

Way to go, Philip! Sounds like you spanked the 50-year-AVRers with freckles!:p :p :p By the way, do you have red hair?:confused: ;) :D
I am really happy that you ran the race, and I'm looking forward to the February 25 post-race highlights!:)

Congrats!! Sounds like your head is in the right place.....and your heart finally is too!

I know you are glad to be back on the running trail. Best wishes for continuing success!

;) :D Marguerite

Way to go Philip!

Way to go Philip!

I am happy for you buddy! Good perspective, good result. Your second life as a runner will be equally rewarding in many ways. I got a note today from a sixth runner so we will get the second fall marathon relay team going now! Just waiting to hear from Kodi and I will be in touch by email with the entire group.

In the meantime, I hope you feel the post-race glow for a bit. Mark

Congratulations on the fine result, Philip! It's so good to hear that you are doing well after your recent problems. It sounds like you were hanging out with my kind of folk at the race. I have concluded that I'll never be anything more than a BOPer from now on. So there are two options - be constantly frustrated or put on a grin and decide I'm happy with whatever I can manage. I've gone w/ the second option and it's not a bad way to go. However, I think you still have some more gains to make, young man. I'm looking forward to some progress reports to see what you can do when you've got a proper training base underneath you.

Phillip,

Great story.... great race.... Red beans and rice, catfish and beer !!! Wish I could have been there ! I would have tried to run the race just to get into the party !

Jim

Wonderful, Phillip- best of luck on the 25th- bet you can't wait to do it all over again!

Latest posts

Back