First Post Op Visit

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PCFriars

Had first post op appt. yesterday received the OK to drive -- 4 weeks post op tomorrow. I guess that is good news ! Looks like 1/04/10 is a target date to return to work. See the cardio next week not sure if he will send me to rehab ? anyone have any thoughts on rehab ?

Sleeping is getting better but not great and getting out of the sitting position is a bit painful but better than last week so I figure it's all downhill from here.......

Thanks for all the advice this site is a real help......

That is a good milestone to pass, it should all be downhill from here, as you say. Remember, though, no heavy lifting or stress on that breastbone for a few months yet, give it time to heal.

If you can do rehab, do it - it gives you a chance to push a little while under medical supervision (confidence-building, if nothing else!), and teaches you about max. heart rates and stuff like that if you don't already know it.

Sounds like your coming along fine. I love the little milestones. keep em up.

I'm doing rehab now for 3 weeks, twice a week. I will be 4 weeks post op tomorrow. Even thoughI have a great stationary bike at home rehab is nice. Being hooked up to the monitors while working out gives a good reading on the hearts function. Talking to other people doing rehab is also good for the soul. Helps to share thougths on progress and other issues which you really could not do unless you were in a support group. Thats another reason why this site is a god send.

Mac, on the sunny shores of Lake Superior
AVR, single by-pass 11/19/09
carbo-medics mechanical
Dr. Suri
Mayo Clinic

Things are looking up !

Things are looking up !

Cardio followup today will be 5 weeks post op Christmas Eve......everything is great off to rehab and can go back to work when I feel like it......... think I will wait until after the holidays still get pretty tired by the end of the day. Happy Holidays to everyone.....

Actually looking forward to rehab need to know what I can do without thinking I am going to hurt myself .....

:) Thanks again for all the advice it has been an education and I can't tell you how much help this site has been...

How is the driving after 4 weeks going for you? I am 6 weeks post-op after Sternotomy and I can not go from 4th to 5th gear without really hurting! Give it another 2 weeks, then you'll feel more comfortable while driving.

I think Cardiac rehab is a great idea! All the best for starting work in the New year. It will do you good.

Merry Christmas to all!

It was quite uncomfortable -- heck, it was PAINFUL! -- to go back to driving post-op. Pulling that shoulder harness into place reallllllly stretched my muscles, and I had difficulty turning the steering wheel for turns.

I drove with a pillow over my chest for several weeks. It was more comfortable than having the harness flat across my chest. Of course, this was during the summer, rather than winter. (I seldom take off my down parka when driving in the winter; winter coats or sweaters will provide a little more padding than summer clothing.)

FWIW: Be very careful when driving the first couple of weeks. My husband had a head-on car accident in December 2005 due to sleet on the roads. His sternum was fractured when the airbag inflated, but doctors didn't know at the time that the "deceleration trauma," as it's called, had ruptured the chordae to the leaflets of his mitral valve. It wasn't until late summer 2006 that symptoms started appearing. He had MV repair on the chordae in May 2007.
After having just gone through OHS, you don't want to invite more trauma on your body.
NOTE: My husband was in the correct lane; the other driver was speeding and trying to pass another car. Other driver was :mad: uninsured.

Latest posts

Back