First Post Ever! - Changing cardiologist

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carolinagirl

Hi Everyone!

First of all I have to say that I have been stalking the web site for almost three years now. Summer of 2009 I found the site as I was facing my second OHS. And although this is my first post I want to say thank you for all the valuable information that is here - it has helped me a great deal. I had successful AVR October 2009 and I am enjoying a very active lifestyle now.

Now to the question.....Since my surgery I have become a runner and really enjoy it! This was something I was unable to do at all before my surgery so at age 36 I took up running and have been for about two years. At my last check up I was bombarded with questions like "Are you SURE you're not having chest pains or getting dizzy when you run?" "You would let me know right away if your experience any of the symptoms we talked about right?" I mean, I am finally enjoying the active life I have always wanted and I really felt like my cardio was a real "debbie downer". He gave me his blessing to run and be as active as I wanted and now I really felt like he was taking the wind out of my sails.

I am a "young" woman and chose a tissue valve - (I am 100% comfortable with my decision), but then cardio AGAIN reminded me that these valves don't last as long in young people and gave me that whole speech! I KNOW THIS!!!!!!!!! I went over all this a million times three years ago! I guess I am just looking for a "Way to go!" from him.

So, I have determined that I would like to find a new cardio. Any of you active lifestyle folks out there have any advice as to how to find a cardio that might also embrace an active lifestyle? There are lots of things to consider when choosing a new dr., but I don't want to sound silly if I ask if he/she runs marathons or does triathlons. Any suggestions?

Hope this all made sense - thanks!

Rebecca

Rebecca,
Way to Go Girl!

That's awesome that you started running after your surgery. I did cardiac rehab after mine and we formed a running group of rehab patients and I ran my first 5-k five months after my surgery. My rehab people really encouraged an active lifestyle. I say get a copy of your past several echos and see if your numbers are changing or ask your cardio point blank, whether or not your valve is performing correctly or is he concerned because he is seeing some stenosis in your echos. If he will not answer your questions, then you should call around to some of the local cardio groups and ask the receptionist if there is a cardio in the practice that works with athletes like you and get an appointment with that one.
Take care and keep on running.
John

I was 46 at surgery, and felt as you do, just overwhelmed with how wonderful it is to be active without shortness of breath, etc! I could run up flights of stairs without any increase in breathing rate. I did try running on the flat, but my legs voted against that, so I just walk fast. I'm on at least my fifth cardiologist, and I've reached the point where I don't expect any miracles from them, but just put up with them. Good luck on finding an understanding one.

Hi Everyone!

First of all I have to say that I have been stalking the web site for almost three years now. Summer of 2009 I found the site as I was facing my second OHS. And although this is my first post I want to say thank you for all the valuable information that is here - it has helped me a great deal. I had successful AVR October 2009 and I am enjoying a very active lifestyle now.

Now to the question.....Since my surgery I have become a runner and really enjoy it! This was something I was unable to do at all before my surgery so at age 36 I took up running and have been for about two years. At my last check up I was bombarded with questions like "Are you SURE you're not having chest pains or getting dizzy when you run?" "You would let me know right away if your experience any of the symptoms we talked about right?" I mean, I am finally enjoying the active life I have always wanted and I really felt like my cardio was a real "debbie downer". He gave me his blessing to run and be as active as I wanted and now I really felt like he was taking the wind out of my sails.

Hope this all made sense - thanks!

Rebecca

HI Rebecca,

My first thought on this is "Why now is he asking these questions?" Did you have some tests that prompted your doctor to now raise these questions? Perhaps there is a reason for him to be concerned that you are not aware of. Heart heath is nothing to ignore. My valve was going bad due to pannus growth, I was running 5 days a week, most importantly, I was asymptomatic to this problem. Then my doctor told me that I needed to have the valve replaced, or I would not be around in 12 months. I thought I was in great condition, I even lasted on the stress echo treadmill test for 13.20 minutes. I could have gone the whole 15 min in the test except that it was going too fast for me to continue a fast walk, and would break out into a jog. Outwwardly I was indeed in great condition, and I was completely unaware that I had a major issue going on internally.

The thing is, I would be concerned about why your doctor now brings this up to your attention, especially if he has not in the past. Seek a second opinion, ask for copies of your records and test results from your first doctor, and "Interview" other doctors for their opinions. You can be active, in fact as others on here will attest, you can be very active, but you also have to manage the cards that were dealt to you responsibly. This will assist you in staying active for a long long time. "

Rob

The smarty pants answer is to tell your doctor to maybe order an exercise stress test and a stress echo. I am not a doctor, but I can assure you that its impossible for me to detect normal vs obnornal shortness of breath and other stress related symptoms while doing extensive exercise if I have not been at it contiuously. It is only possible after a history of logged exercise to know the normal HR and perceived exertion rates for a given level and duration. My cardiologist happens to be a triathlete, but I just got lucky I guess. Hate to say this, but you can generally take one look at a Dr and determine if he/she has seen the gym in the last few months :) You'll have your answer. Very recently one of my doctors looked at the results of my most recent exercise stress tests, his only comment:
"I only wish I could do that"

Let me say " WAY TO GO"! I agree I would want to know WHY the cardio asked if you are out of breath...
Now for the real question. You should be supported by your cardio to get in shape, and running is one of the best ways. If your doctor ever mentions that running will somehow adversely affect your valve, leave immediately and find a new cardio. There is absolutely no research that points to this. Running will not wear out your valve. Your body calcifies it, just like it did your original valve. My first cardio, recommended by my GP was against me running, and running in general, and I found a better cardio who supports my running. Ask around, especially other runners, neighbors, etc. That is how I found mine.

Hi, Rebecca, I do understand your concerns. I would ask the cardiologist directly why he is raising these questions and also I suggest you request copies of the test reports. Your health is not a guessing game. If he has concerns, he is obligated to explain them. Our doctors work for us. They are not a priesthood who must hoard knowledge. If he will not answer your questions then he is the wrong doctor for you.

My knees are not runners knees but I ride a road bike over at least moderate distances. My cardiologist and I have both ridden the "Hotter'n Hell Hundred" in Wichita Falls so he understands the level of activity I want to maintain. As John says, call around and ask about a cardiologist who shares your interests; receptionists would be a good place to start. Ask your family doctor for a recommendation. If you know any cardiac nurses, call and ask them. You will find someone.

Larry

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions!

I want to assure you all that there are no mysterious test results that my Dr. is sitting on and not discussing with me. If he had concrete concerns he would share those with me and not wait for me to figure something out on my own. He is a great Dr. and I trust his knowledge and capability I just wish he understood where a runner was coming from and how GREAT it is to finally be active after being told all my life about restrictions.

So glad I finally bit the bullet and started communicating on these forums - they have served as a wealth of information to me for three years now and I am sure they will continue to do so!

Thanks again

I visit Wilmington, NC often to see the grandkids. I have met a few weekend triathletes while there, at races, or just talking with others. If you go to a few 5k races and talk to people, I bet you will find runners who also have cardios they like!

Good for you! I think your cardio may just not understand you and your knowledge. Had you been a runner before surgery, I bet things would be different. I believe that if you just express your knowledge of what you are doing, your knowledge about how you take care of yourself... it will help.

My Cardio after my 1st surgery was concerned about me working out with the local HS wrestling team. His prospective comes from knowing how a world-class wrestler works out. His brother is an Olympic silver-medalist. Once I explained that I was not in training, but rather just working out once a week, he was fine.

It not invasive for a cardio to ask questions, it is their job to do so to get a patient to tell them if they are experience any chest pains or shortness. I have never heard of anyone not wanting to let the doctor know how they are doing, heart wise. The doctor has to know how the patient is feeling to properly treat the patient. Did he ask in a demenaing way? Did he ask ina demanding way, like answer or else? If not, he was trying to do his job. Most people do not tell the doctor if there are problems, like chest pains or discomfort, or they are having other problems, like high blood pressure. My problem would have been if he did not ask questions and did things his way without talking at all. You must feel comfortable. The problem of asking questions in not there. But the comfort might be. Just thinks before going on the mad search for another cardio. I had one that took my blodd pressure and proceeded to tell me that it was 500. over what, he did not say. So good luck.

You might try calling the local Heart Association. A doctor who runs marathons probably has participated in Heart Asso. response runs.

Back