First heavy cough post surgery!!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan CA

Hooollly COW! I was eating a sandwich today and accidentally inhaled a bread crumb. Before I could react and hold it back, I had one GIANT cough. I am 8 days post surgery and it felt like I had just woken up from the anesthesia all over again. Haha!

Man...try no to cough. When I got home and took off my shirt, I halfway expected to see the wires holding my sternum together, sticking out like manged rebar on a demolished office building. Laughing about it now....but I will sure try not to do that again.

Ryan

Just remember - If you're caught without your "heart pillow" and must cough or sneeze, just place both hands flat on your sternum and press back against it as you cough/sneeze. This greatly reduces the perceived pain, and gets you through the moment.

I remember it well - I had a nasty, persistent cough for the first several weeks after surgery, and this saved my sanity.

Thanks for this. All the theoretical and judgmental advice is helpful, but practical advice and warnings are the best.

Man, I figured I would have some people to commiserate with me on this one. LOL. I felt like it was going to set my pain level back a few days....luckily, within a few hours I was back to normal. Now my wife wants me to carry my heart pillow with me everywhere!!

I choked on a sip of water in the ICU but that wasn't so bad, being on so many drugs still.

The day after I got out of the hospital I choked on half a potassium pill. I'll never forget that. Gag, choke... get my pillow! Choke, choke, WATER and lots of it!

I've been pinching my nose closed whenever I feel a sneeze coming along. I kind of miss sneezing, but know I'd regret letting it happen, thanks to the advice here.

Personally I found that when you are caught off guard without your pillow and you have a quick choking/cough or sneeze, giving yourself a firm hug helps with the pain. Another little trick that I learned years ago for when you feel that sneeze coming is to lightly rub that "tickle" you feel on your nose.

Latest posts

Back