First Echo 18 Months After Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cewilk

It has been quite a while since I have posted on here, but figured now would be a good time to get reunited back with the heartvalve forum community! :D

So I had the Ross Procedure on July 30, 2012 at the age of 24. I made a great recovery and was back to doing light cardio/weight training 3-4 months after surgery. Since the operation, I have also deployed to Afghanistan and have surpassed many personal weight training goals I have set for myself and also performed well in other physical events. I'm still not as conditioned aerobically as I had wished, but I also have been making weight lifting more of a priority than cardiovascular exercise.

Today I completed my first echo since my surgery and had some pretty unexpected results. My LV was measured at 7.2 cm (which I understand is HUGE) and I was still having some pretty severe regurgitation. On a positive note, my EF was back to a normal percentage when before surgery it was in the 40%'s. My cardiologist has me scheduled for another meeting in 4 days to go over my echo more in depth after he has had time to compare from my previous echos.

So since my surgery, I have consistently experienced a few noticeable symptoms which I have just assumed to be normal for someone who's had a heart surgery. Throughout the day, I can sometimes feel my heartbeat through my chest which fluctuates in strength, sometimes thumping pretty hard and then backing off to where it's un noticable. I can also feel my pulse in odd areas such as my temple, fingers, and feet sometimes, even when resting. Also, I often feel the urge to take a deep breath and it sometimes takes me 2-4 inhalations to achieve that satisfying, full lung expansion deep breath, kinda like a yawn but not a yawn. I do have some occassionally irregularity to my heartbeat which usually returns to normal after slow, deep breathing.

Before surgery, I was experiencing diminished exercise tolerance and would have a very uncomfortable tightness of the chest and that feeling of not being able to take a full breath. Now, when running or conducting any exercise that elevates the heart rate, I feel much better and do not have those same symptoms. I do take pre-workout supplementations that contain a pretty potent blend of ingredients, but none of which I've research that have adverse affects on cardiovascular health.

Another question is alcohol consumption. I consider myself a pretty social drinker, and usually drink with friends 2-3 times a month on the weekend where I usually consume more than I should. Of course I understand the health risks of binge drinking, but from a cardiovascular health perscpective how dangerous is excessive alcohol consumption a couple times a month? I find it hard to believe that social drinking could contribute to aortic regurgitation or enlarged LV...but maybe someone can inform me otherwise.

I made a great recovery and have been living a very active lifestyle since surgery and was able to deploy to Afghanistan and carry out my duties as a Marine, which I am truly grateful for the opportunity since I didn't think it was possible when I first discovered that I needed a valve replacement. So I am just wondering if anyone else had experienced dissapointing echo results after surgery and had any similar symptoms that they considered normal that may not be normal afterall. Thanks to anyone who responds!

-Chris

Were you having severe regurgitation after surgery? That doesn't sound right... I'm at a similar spot, post mech valve installation (at twice your age), 18 month echo 3/25 and consult 4/1. My cardiologist has given me the measurements for end diastolic volume and end systolic volume (from these you can calculate stroke volume and ejection fraction) from the last few echos, and I can't wait to compare with the new numbers.

I had disappointing echo results post-op, but my echo was done at 3 months out and so the problem was addressed quickly. I don't think drinking can contribute in anyway to either the regurgitation or enlarged LV.
I hope the cardiologist has some answers for you when you go back to see him. Please keep us updated.
Mary

I freak out after every one. There's always a number that catches my attention and it can take me weeks to recover from my anxiety. My cardiologist told me there aren't many people out there with a normal echo.

You must've been surprised they let you deploy after OHS. Gets me thinking that having a BAV isn't the end of the world.

Getting Back

Getting Back

Hi, Chris, it sounds as though you are doing very well over all. It has been my own experience that recovery continues for longer than most people imagine. For myself, this has certainly been true. I had a pretty incredible experience with surgery and the early months of recovery. Later, I learned that the hypertrophy (thickening & stiffening) of my left ventricle caused by the failing old valve would take longer to recover from. This caused me to experience "diastolic dysfunction". While the new valve allowed a normal blood flow, the stiff walls of the ventricle prevented it from fully relaxing so it could never fill completely on the diastolic (resting) beat. For me, this has caused some of the symptoms you mentioned.

The good news is that my heart has continued to improve. At four and a half years post surgery, my left ventricle function is nearly normal again. You may not share this particular problem but I mention it to let you know that recovery doesn't end after the first year. Also, you might find this article interesting; It reports that dark chocolate has now been found to help the heart recover resilience:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/02/140227092149.htm

For about a decade, I served as an officer on a number of "Gators" and worked with a lot of Marines so I appreciate how hard you guys work at things. To me, its pretty astounding that you have recovered so well that you can deploy again. Be well, Chris.

Larry

Larry, was your diastolic pressure very low? I ask because mine was quite low, 50 or less, and in the year+ since my surgery, it has gone up to 60-70 without my systolic pressure going up from its "normal" 120 or just under. I always thought that this high pulse pressure was related to the BAV but never found any references to such a correlation, till now: http://www.fpnotebook.com/CV/Valve/ArtcRgrgtn.htm. I would think it follows then that a steady isolated increase in diastolic pressure (from very low to near normal) is a good thing, no? I read someplace that the most dramatic reverse remodeling takes place in the first six months after AVR, but that the full effect can take five years.

And, thank you. Now I can add dark chocolate to my shopping list and explain to my wife that it is "therapeutic".

Latest posts

Back