First day home...I'm scared!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your work is great. Thanks for sharing. I think photos you took yourself are a perfect gift

Thanks Lyn! It's just about all I do or want to do...My site needs updating, I have not updated it with new work in almost a year.

I love the image of the horse in NYC for Dr. Galloway..not sure why...I have a gorgeous print that I made and framed it...and another for Dr. Cole...a photograph enthusiast.

Last night I figured..."Hey I bet I can start working out! So I try to do a push up"....That's not going to happen...I didn't hurt myself but if I did pushups, I know I would...starting some light dumbell exercises today...I'm very careful and healing is going well...sternum does hurt but that's part of it healing...

I agree with Lyn, your pictures are great and I think your surgeon and cardio would both appreciate them.

Oh, and don't do anymore push ups, its still too early!

Kim

I agree with Lyn, your pictures are great and I think your surgeon and cardio would both appreciate them.

Oh, and don't do anymore push ups, its still too early!

Kim

4 weeks tomorrow...was pretty funny actually..."I'm sure I can do a pushup or two!"....

Boy is that just a bad idea...probably one of the worst things you can do beside a bench press...I think someone here posted 12 weeks before I can do that...wouldn't be surprised if it's true...

I think you may be the first to have forgotten their first appointment post op with their Heart Surgeon. :eek:

That sure does say how confident and well you are mentally and physically. If you had issues, you never would have forgotten.

Good show. So happy you are doing so well.

haha,....interesting and true...I completely forget the appointment and am seeing him tomorrow (if I remember...haha)...what can he do now anyway? Nothing good can come out of that appointment except..."I bought the extended warranty!"....but seriously it will be great to see him on the 4 week anniversary mark and I will prepare a few questions as well.

No more pushups!!I di do curls and presses with 15lb barbells in each hand...I can't imagine that being a problem and i took it very easy and slow...

Thanks for the nice comments..I was out all night and up at 4am...had a great night a reasonable drive and feel great...

haha,....interesting and true...I completely forget the appointment and am seeing him tomorrow (if I remember...haha)...what can he do now anyway? Nothing good can come out of that appointment except..."I bought the extended warranty!"....but seriously it will be great to see him on the 4 week anniversary mark and I will prepare a few questions as well.

No more pushups!!I di do curls and presses with 15lb barbells in each hand...I can't imagine that being a problem and i took it very easy and slow...

Thanks for the nice comments..I was out all night and up at 4am...had a great night a reasonable drive and feel great...

Actually 15 pound per hand is probably not a good idea either.No matter how good you feel bones need time to heal solid or you can have big problems the rest of your life. I think it is a 10 pound TOTAL (using both hands) for the first 6 weeks. It really doesn't make much sense t me to push somthing like this that could really screw you up. You Might not do any damage, but why risk it

Just got home from my first post operative appointment with my surgeon, Dr. aubrey Galloway, NYU.

We went over what he did in the surgery and he explained what he did, including replacing the ring and some other technical things that I will post later. They gave me a copy of the post operative report which was nice reading...

I asked if a replacement would have yielded any better result than the repair and he said absolutely not. With replacement I would be back for another surgery (tissue valve) and with this repair there is a good chance I will never need another surgery..He placed the odds at 95% it would hold up. Of course I am nervous about that as that's what they said last time..but there's nothing I can do about it and I'm thrilled he was able to repair the valve.

He said he wanted me on Warfarin for only two more weeks, then stop and take a full size aspirin rather than a baby aspirin. He seemed to indicate that he would want me to stay on full size aspirin...

He said I can do rehab if I want but that if I am active, considering I am in pretty good shape, he didn't think I really need it.

Check up could not have gone better. I'm approved for all vitamins, supplements and medications I was taking...ok'd for travel...no push ups or bench presses for at least another 2 weeks...but I can use the dumbbells as I have just started...But I'll be extra careful anyway..I am still tired often...and have a ways to go to get to 100%...

He really appreciated the framed print I gave him...when I went back in, it was right next to his desk.

I have some other information regarding minimally invasive vs traditional...I'll post them in a thread someone else made.

Was a great visit and I'm ready to step it up more and do much more...

THanks for reading and posting!

I think you may be the first to have forgotten their first appointment post op with their Heart Surgeon. :eek:

That sure does say how confident and well you are mentally and physically. If you had issues, you never would have forgotten.

Good show. So happy you are doing so well.

His assistant said the exact same thing..She said no one ever misses an appointment post OHS...ever, unless it's really bad!

She scolded me and I have another appointment in a month.

Re: "He said I can do rehab if I want but that if I am active, considering I am in pretty good shape, he didn't think I really need it."
I'm very active, but I've found C. Rehab very useful. For lots of patients, it' a way to be more active. Fro me, there was some of that, but it was mostly a way to get it right - walking the tightrope between wasting time =too slow, and running silly risks =too fast. I got THREE fancy stress cardiograms since Feb, and they all helped guide my return to crazy-intense sports activities. (Just last night, I played 2.5 hours of pretty intense beach volleyball - mostly 4-on-4 - with a bunch of 20-somethings.)
Also having easy access to a bunch of rehab-savvy (athletic) nurses, cardiologists, and techs - and a bunch of "heart-friendly" exercise equipment - is something I'll miss when they boot me out on my valviversary!

Norm you sound way more active than me...It wouldn't be a bad idea for me to check out rehab, I do agree with you. Especially since this rehab place is rated at the top of the food chain..It's supposed to be state of the art...I'll call them this week...thanks for the push.

WHen I saw the surgeon Friday he green lighted me for just about anything...He didn't do an EKG and didn't mention my missed or skipped beats which are still going strong..I don't feel them much but when I take my pulse there is still often little rhym or reason to the beat...It's really disturbing but I just don't check it that often...

I have been taking 10mg Adderall for many years..It's a strong stimulant for ADD as well as for fatigue related to my MS...although honestly we can't say if the fatigue is MS related and I more suspect it's been my heart.

Anyway...believe this or not, but right after surgery the next morning they give me my meds and 10mg of Adderall...I tell the nurse..I am sure my doctor doesn't want me to be taking that! but she brings it in each day and each day I refuse to take it as I think it's insane to take stimulants within a few days of heart surgery..

Well it's been a month and starting week five this week and for the first time took a full 10mg adderall...It worked fantastically...I was able to focus on some tasks and get more done than I have in weeks.

I quit the Adderall on my own two months ago when I was sick and my cardiologist agreed...do not take adderall until heart is fixed...Both he and the surgeon have no problem with me taking it but I am still very cautious and careful to take it very easy with such a stimulant...Does anyone here take it? I tend to doubt many do..

But it's really good to report I was able to take one.

I want to share in the bloggy thread something I have noticed that's weird and yet I thnk some of you might relate to and appreciate.

I have taken SSRI's in the past.always tiny doses and they have helped a bit for anxiety but I never felt Lexapro really was for me, even at higher doses, it just didn't do much...I increased to 10mg as soon as I found out I needed surgery (not sure if it helped)....I slowly tapered off the Lexapro to zero two weeks ago.

here's the odd part...I am feeling more centered, more grounded, less anxious and generally happier since my heart is stabilizing...I believe when our hearts are not working effectively and efficiently, some of us might be more prone to anxiety, lightheadedness (duh) and other feelings like even impatience and more anger.

After my first valve surgery, one thing I immediately noticed was greatly reduced anxiety when flying!

In short I believe when our heart is working correctly and we are getting more blood and oxygen, we tend to just feel better.

Whatever it is, I am feeling markedly better the last few days..not recovered 100% by any means...Still a bit short of breath. I get tired after talking for more than 2-3 hours (socially)...my breaths are not yet as fulfilling as they will be and I am generally deconditioned and out of shape..

But even that being said, there is a certain calmness that I am feeling...perhaps the metropolol is adding to that feeling? It might be....

Offwego, of all the diagnoses in the WORLD I could apply to you from reading your posts, I think the LAST one would be ADD! You seem remarkably well focused for any recent OHS patient. Way to overcome!

Offwego, of all the diagnoses in the WORLD I could apply to you from reading your posts, I think the LAST one would be ADD! You seem remarkably well focused for any recent OHS patient. Way to overcome!

Thank you sir...I certainly have been focused on this surgery..was another good day and it's always nice to get a good checkup...GOt the results of all the blood tests and everything came back perfect...and it's not even Thanksgiving!

I plan on going to Puerto Rico for New Years Eve...I remember fearing I would not be in good enough shape to travel by then...I'm 5 weeks post op this Friday...no not 100% by any means..I'd call it 50-60%...but I feel better than that sounds..

When is it safe to get our teeth cleaned..? I figure I stop Warfarin next Friday and the week after to go to the dentist..

Then back to work on my "To Do" list....first on the list was 'go get a checkup"....talk about rough beginnings!

I was told not to have any dental work done for six weeks, including cleanings. Unfortunately I had trouble with a crown about 3 months post op so I didn't have a choice to go, so my cardio put me on a full course of antibiotics instead of the usual couple of pills before the appt.

If I were you, I'd definitely run this past your cardio before you go!

Kim

I was told not to have any dental work done for six weeks, including cleanings. Unfortunately I had trouble with a crown about 3 months post op so I didn't have a choice to go, so my cardio put me on a full course of antibiotics instead of the usual couple of pills before the appt.

If I were you, I'd definitely run this past your cardio before you go!

Kim

I know I should have done this BEFORE surgery...but just couldn't motivate...The last thing any of us need is an infection...great..now I've scared myself...lol.

Five weeks today...Been a bit more active...went out 3-4 nights the last week...but clearly still recovering..Next Friday I'll be done with Warfarin...and my next appointment with the cardiologist is about a month from now and hopefully he reduces the Metropolol from 2x a day to 1x and then maybe off of it completely. I can't tell if it adds to me being tired or if I am just more tired still recovering..

I packed up and moved some items from my house that I am renting out to my apartment in the city...I overdid it of course but wisely chose not to even attempt to unload until yesterday and this time had my doorman help me...I'm fine lifting a fair amount of weight without any danger of damaging the incision but...I have a pair of speakers and they are not only very heavy (easily 80lbs) but awkward...After stupidly lifting one, I managed to find an easier way with the other.

I got all the stuff into my apartment but I'm not even unpacking. I just came back from a very nice long walk with my daughter and am exhausted...I can't wait to feel energetic again...

The trip I had originally planned to Puerto Rico, I wisely delayed and even now, I'll be much happier waiting another month before going...

Everything is going great (other than my aching lower back..ugh) but I do wish I had more energy..

Keeping it going....Week 6 is right about now...

Today is last Warfarin pill...hope I don't get a stroke now...lol..(ugh)...the doctor wants me to increase to full size aspirin..Does this mean I can take Advil or Aleve? I hope so...I must be getting better cause my lower back is hurting more and more...if my heart was worse I wouldn't think of my back! WHen I take my pulse I still feel missed or skipped beats but the cardiologist assures me the intervals between them is improving...I'll take his word for it.

I made flight reservations to Puerto Rico right after Christmas for a week...I think it was smart to wait a bit...At 6 weeks, sure I could go and be ok but still I am tired at times and I am beginning to think it's as much a matter of being deconditioned as heart surgery recovery...

My incision is healing nicely but this past week I had different and bad pain as i was sleeping...very weird but not completely unexpected..a kind of aching feeling...was actually pretty bad...but it seems better now...it's probably the result of my increased activity and stretching things out. at 6 weeks def not healed enough to do pushups or bench presses...my guess is I am halfway there as far as that's concerned..

It's 4 weeks off of the anti depressants I took just in case of depression post surgery..it was one of my biggest fears as it was a terrible experience after my first surgery...I feel fine emotionally..Much better than before surgery..and I want to share again an odd benefit from surgery...Reduced anxiety...I don't mean in relation to the surgery but just in general..I believe a malfunctioning heart has effected my anxiety levels in the past...I felt the same way after the first surgery...air travel for instance was much easier..

It's a great side effect from a fixed valve...

Other than the above, I should be more disciplined in my walking and I'm trying...i don't go out in a regular schedule but did walk over 2 miles to another doctors office yesterday...and was tempted to walk back but wisely hopped in a cab.

6 week anniversary...I milestone I had set before surgery!

Why is your doctor recommending a full size aspirin?

Not that it matters much, but I'm just trying to get a handle on why some tissue valvers take warfarin and some don't. Is it just a surgeon preference or is there conditions present that dictate warfarin.
Same sort of questions regarding baby aspirin aspirin and full size.

found a document online regarding this with the following conclusion.
Clinical Bottom Line
Patients post-bioprosthetic MVR should have warfarin for 3 months with an INR of 2–3. For patients post-bioprosthetic AVR without additional risk factors, antiplatelet therapy alone is adequate.

http://www.bestbets.org/bets/bet.php?id=1290

So I guess there must be certain risk factors present to prescribe warfarin to tissue valvers immediately.Other than being a mitral valve, I'm still not clear as to what those factors are precisely for AVR.

Is the full aspirin a step down method for going from warfarin to baby aspirin I wonder.

Risk factors include AFib, previous thromboembolism, and a few others. Time frame from surgery, valve type, and valve location are all variables that affect recommendations for either Warfarin or Aspirin, as well as INR levels if on Warfarin. For reference, the ACC Valve Disease Guidelines (beginning on page 112 which is page 113 of this PDF) include all of this: http://content.onlinejacc.org/cgi/reprint/48/3/e1.pdf.

Now, I did just fine with only Aspirin 81 the first 3 months, but did not realize at the time it was not completely a consensus "textbook" decision, surgical centers do vary on this approach. It's one of many risk/benefit decisions.

Latest posts

Back