Finally got my machine!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SuperMan, that is great that you are getting into a routine and it is all working out.
Your clinic is really keeping track of your testing and that can be a good/ or somewhat annoying issue. ;)

The amount of blood needed depends on the meter you're using. If you're using a ProTime meter, you discard the first drop, then squeeze drops of blood into the cup on the lancing device that comes with the test strip.

Otherwise, with the CoaguChek XS and the InRatio (both models), they want the first drop, and want it within fifteen seconds of incision (so clotting doesn't start before testing does). Using a lancing device and a 21 or 22 gauge lancet - with the device set to maximum depth - should make a large enough incision. Don't be afraid to apply a little pressure to the device when you lance your finger - this way, you'll get a large enough puncture.

Suggestions about warming the hand, swinging it a bit to both dry the hand and get blood to the fingers, and possibly holding the first knuckle before making the incision can help to get that big drop. In my experience, it's also good to have my finger pointing downward so the blood doesn't run up under my fingernail.

There are capillary tube devices that you can apply to the incision and that fill with the blood and also indicate when you've got enough. When there's enough blood, you can drop it onto the strip, then squeeze the device to get the blood onto the strip.

The CoaguChek XS may be just SLIGHTLY easier, because you can apply the blood to the side of the strip instead of aiming for that small dot.

(Unless you've got A-fib, 3.0 is probably pretty high for 'normal.' I try to keep mine between 2.0 and 3.5 (prosthetic valve)).

And, yes, I agree that anyone who takes warfarin and is capable of self-testing SHOULD be able to do it. They can get management advice from a clinic or physician, but should be able to test and report without going to a doctor or lab or clinic. (I do my own management and have been keeping records of EVERY test since I got my first meter in 2009.)

With a little practice and the right lancing tools, you should be able to get an adequate drop almost every time.

With Skyler, we find that using the capillary tube is the most consistent way of getting a good sample, even with the coaguchek. But then, he has no patience. (I wish that we could charge him for every strip that was used up because of insufficient blood simply because of his impatience… but he doesn’t understand money very well yet.)

Latest posts

Back