Finally at therapeutic levels

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigOwl

Well, I finally did it. Last week I went into the clinic and was 2.1, so the upped my dose to 25 mg a week (5 each MWF, 2.5 the other four days) and today I was 2.5. I've been eating reasonably, rationing my heart-healthy wine intake (about 5 oz. a night) and getting a little exercise. I'm going to start jacking that up in 10 minute increments on my recumbent bike machine, but I've also gone back to work (easy days, though) so will have to work around that.

Thanks for all the advice and help, folks. I'll let you know how well I maintain the levels, but since I'm a fairly regimented person I don't expect much in the way of dramatic changes if I keep doin' what I'm doin'. Needless to say, with being back on the job I won't have much time for forum going, but will try to drop in occasionally to see how y'all are. Meanwhile, keep Ross in line. And maybe get him some new glasses.

Glad to hear you are in range Owl.

One comment on your dosing.

I'm not a fan of wide range changes in dosing.

By using 2 different dose tablets, only 1 mg apart, you can adjust your weekly dose over a 7 mg range merely by changing the allocation.

If you had 3 and 4 mg tablets, that would enable you to vary your weekly dose from 21 mg / week to 28 mg / week and still take only ONE tablet per day which keeps your cost down.

To get 25 mg, you could use the following allocation:

Hope all goes well with your new lease on life.

'AL Capshaw'

BigOwl:

That's great news!

I agree with Al on the size of tablets. You're using tablets that go from 100% to 50% to 100% to 50%. My gut instinct is to follow a dosing schedule that is more nearly identical every day of the week.

You might also get an Rx for 1mg tabs so you can have more flexibility, should you need to take 0.5mg more some days/weeks.

You've had 2 consecutive tests in range, but don't be surprised when your tests show a drop. In fact, brace yourself (and I'm sure you already are doing so) for a drop, since you've gone back to work and are increasing your exercise.

Good luck!

Well, I'm not making any changes until I test again on the 1st. Since my valve allows a lower range (ideally it's 2.5-3.5, but 2.0 is technically ok for this valve) I'm not worried. As my exercise level increases, though, I may need a higher dose, so it'll be interesting to see how things look at the next check. In my family (based on my uncle's experience--and, crawling out of the woodwork, others as well) we tend to be very steady (my uncle has tested at between 2.5 and 2.6 for ten years in once-a-month clinic visits). Since we all share the same crappy cardiac genes, maybe we share other consistencies, too.

Myself, I'm crediting the 5 oz. of zinfandel every night for my levels. Helps make up for the broccoli.

Latest posts

Back