Fighting off the dread....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am laughing about the shopping spree. I too kind of bought some stuff because of the upcoming surgery. In fact I bought a new sleep number bed that elevates. I figured it would be so much easier to sleep and recoup. I would not have bought that just cuz of the surgery, but it was a good excuse since I always wanted one, lol. I notice that I am talking about the surgery more and more out loud. I joke about it and keep telling my family to not come to hospital till a couple of days later since they will smother me with care. Best family in the world but a little too much TLC. Yes, night is the worse but I just keep telling myself I really have no choice so why even go there. I will be so happy to have it behind me and to be healing knowing everyday it will get better and better.

There's a reason why so many here keep saying that the wait is the most difficult part of the process. I think we all will never forget the torture we put ourselves through during those long days leading up to our surgeries. The thing is that so many of people come on here after surgery and say that things really weren't as bad as they feared. The recovery is tough, but the memory of that really does fade in time. I haven't been on the boards in nearly six months, since I've had so many other things keeping me busy. Maybe one of the best things you can do going in is try to get a handle on the fact that a successful surgery will allow you to think about things in the long term rather than the laser like focus on the looming surgery.

Look forward to all the years of laughter that you will have ahead of you once you get through the operation. It really is worth it!

Thanks Ken, reading your message was my Christmas gift. I was feeling pretty down just now thinking of my upcoming surgery. Didnt realize how small of a box I put myself in till I've had a household of people for Christmas and am having a hard time physically doing what I normally do for the holidays. Its the first time during this whole process that I feel compromised physically and it scares me. On one hand eager to have the surgery and on the other scared of what is on the line. But I so need this to happen and the waiting is torture. lol

Merry Christmas and thanks again for those encouraging words.

Kathy

Kathy, without going through it it's hard to comprehend. You'll do great, it was only 2 weeks ago for me, but each day the memories of the week in the hospital seem more and more like a bad dream. It will take time, it will be a very tough fight, but you will be surprised of your inner strength and fighting spirit. As soon as you get home, or at least for me, everything was so much better. What I really miss is holding and playing with my 4 year old, but in 4 weeks that will change and it keeps me motivated to continue to get better. Everyone is different, for me my faith was very instrumental and helping me get through the wait time. Good luck and my thoughts and prayers are with you, Merry Christmas

Prayers and keeping an open mind. It is very hard to do. But also to remember, you have been through bypass before and you will do well again. You are young and have a lot to live for. Be positive for your baby, you will be there for him. You have to remember that you are strong and can fight the recover again. Just repeat this to yourself as many times as needed. "I did this before and can do this again." You will be fine. Just hang in there and keep being positive for your family.

Thanks Tomalbers and good luck with your recovery also. I would think that this whole process would be made that more challenging with having small children, more difficult but would give you that added inspiration to recover. Happy New Year for us all!

"Right before bed have a happy things recap"

I think that's a great place to start.

From happylifeu.com

"New research shows that practicing gratitude may be the fastest single pathway to happiness, health, long life, and prosperity. In a remarkable study performed by Dr. Emmons, people who kept a gratitude journal for just 3 weeks measured 25% higher on life satisfaction after wards. They exercised more, drank alcohol less, and their families and friends noticed that they were nicer to be around. And the effects lasted for several months beyond the initial 3 week study. Other studies on gratitude are confirming these results. People who take the time to notice and appreciate the good things that come their way through grace, or luck, or the goodness of others are happier and more peaceful. They do better on cognitive tests and tests of problem solving skills. They practice healthier habits, have better relationships, are more optimistic and live longer. Gratitude is one powerful emotion."

Two other things I did, that I only realized the value of in retrospect were:
Take some time to make a really, comfortable nest; a place I wanted to come home to. (I was moving pre-surgery anyway, you may already have that)
Make plans for the future. Going into surgery, I was making plans for a wedding, a vacation, some new work ventures etc. I had a lot to look forward to!

Best of luck, and a happy new year!

I love the "happy things recap" and the preparation of a cozy nest. My wonderful wife and son helped with that by buying me a great new recliner, TV, and loads of DVDs of movies I'd never had time to watch. (So it was all on my credit card -- never mind, it was the thought that counted.:D ) I spent most of my horizontal time in that recliner for weeks because I had trouble getting comfortable in the bed, and I became much more movie-savvy. The point is, it was helpful to have all that nice stuff to look forward to (of course, I had to get up to start walking for rehab, too; couldn't just lie there all the time). :thumbup:

Another thing I found helpful pre-surgery was just turning on the most pleasant, relaxing music I could find, and closing my eyes and soaking it in.

All best to you -- sounds like you are preparing well. You will do fine.

Latest posts

Back