Feeling like crap

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
James, when my Cardio started talking about surgery, I wasn't feeling great but still not too bad and I sort of expected to be the same by the time my AVR date arrived. Instead, each week I felt worse and worse. My Surgeon said that it is not atypical for valves to degrade pretty quickly once they start to go. Still, it made getting things ready at home every so much more of a strain when feeling more ill with each passing day. Hang in there, it will be better. Hopefully, you will share my experience and feel better as soon as you get to leave the ICU.

Once I knew I had the need for a valve I was completely freaked out and did nothing that would elevate my heart rate. I wouldn't even take our dogs for a walk ! Mind you one of em is 120 pounds and he walks you, you don't walk him. I know you want to keep some resemblance of normalacy in your day to day life but I would just say if you this close to surgery you should shut down anything that is going to get your heart going too hard. If you insist on continuing to do things then I would suggest a heart monitor and try to keep your heart rate down. I know for me the magic number was about 130 bpm. If I got to that or beyond chest pain and SOB was right behind.

Now my heart rate gets in the mid 160s when I run, no issues :) You have so much to look forward to ! I think you should break out the xbox now. Did she get you Tiger Woods Golf ? AE is gonna change it to Cheetah Woods Golf with next release :)

Well I talked to my boss and told her that I was going to have to just stay in my office for the next couple of weeks. Our problem is that we have laid off so many people that we all need to do all the jobs and I have a hard time pacing. She on the other hand is more than ok with me sitting on my butt behind my computer....

Scott, as for the TWG2010 I heard they are dropping that endorsement in lieu of the Tiger Woods edition of Grand Theft Auto: Dance club expansion. Oh where this thread has gone....

One month before surgery

One month before surgery

I remember being one month out from surgery and calling my husband at work and telling him "I can't do it anymore." Meaning that I can't keep working and doing everything else I normally do in a day, I was exhausted. I remember having to plan how many times I was going to walk up the stairs in a day because after doing it three times I needed to rest for an hour or two. I am normally a very active person so it was killing me. After recovery you will feel so much better and appreciate the little things like being able to walk up the stairs you will feel better again go easy on yourself :eek:

I went on short-term disability about 2-2 1/2 weeks pre-op because of severe fatigue and SOB. I qualified for a handicapped hangtag for my car and parked in front of my office building. I only had to walk about 50-60 feet from my car to my desk, yet that just about did me in.

When you get that exhausted, it's time to go on STD and get as much rest as possible.

Well I am 2 weeks out and only have 4 shifts between now and my surgery. I think it will be ok. My wife has been a Godsend. I will never be able to repay her for all she is doing for me.
My biggest worry is watching the Rose Bowl and what that might do to me.

That is funny you should mention the Rose Bowl (quack). When I was waiting for my surgery (3 years, mind you!) my son was playing lacrosse and my daughter was playing volleyball (thank goodness the son in the middle was/is an artist and no longer playing team sports!). As the time got closer to the surgery, I honestly could not cheer. It was frightening. I would feel like I was going to pass out right there in the stands. So what I did (which you can't, actually, for a TV broadcast) was to bring my camera. I took photos. I got pretty good at it and it kept my mind on a different kind of the action. And I just stopped yelling and cheering. It was very hard, but I had to. I honestly would've passed out. Not safe.

So while you are watching the DUCKS beat Ohio State :D:D:D you are going to have to remember to breathe. I think that's a huge part of it. One gets to cheering and the normal in and out breathing is interrupted. Be cognizant. Pay attention. Give yourself some calm moments regardless of how exciting things are. Just find that inner calm and visit it once in awhile during the game.

And then, while you are recovering, you can watch and yell and scream at the Super Bowl and then all the basketball games as you can stand!!

My son just got in from Seattle tonight (the artist :)). The holidays!! Hooray!!!!!! Enjoy all the scents and sounds of yours!

Best wishes.

Marguerite

Ducks vs Bucks....man I am torn by this one. I've lived in Ohio nearly 20 yrs now but I also lived in Portland for 5 years. Im going to root for a good close game so I can watch all my Ohio State friends flip out. Ohio State is supposed to be a big time program but if you look at their bowl record over the last 6 or 7 years....ugh....not good.

I would suggest that you try your best to keep calm but unless you start jumping up and down (literally), I don't think you have too much to worry about. Yelling at the TV might elevate your heart rate a few ticks.

As far as work goes...I was 15 days from initial diagnosis to surgery so I was pretty well worthless. Focus on work tasks just wasn't an option. If you can keep focus then I would say keep working, every bit of normalicy you can find between now and surgery is theraputic I think.

Latest posts

Back