Favorite Rivalries

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

As I watched the Chicago Cubs beat the Chicago White Sox 2-0 today at US Cellular Field (formerly Comiskey Park) to take 2 of 3 games (Sox took 2 of the 3 games in May at Wrigley Field), I thought of great rivalries -- Red Sox/Yankees, Cubs/Cardinals, Bears/Packers, Bulls/Pistons, Ford/Chevy, Burger King/McDonald's, Chicago Sun Times/Chicago Tribune, Ewings/Barnes, etc -- and how this world would be so boring without them.

In Chicago, they say you can't be a fan of both the White Sox and Cubs. I'm not so sure about that, as I know several people who claim to be both. I'm not normally one of them, but this year ... well, perhaps a bit. Be that as it may, the Cubs/Sox rivalry -- like the other ones I mentioned -- seems to raise the level of excitement to enhance the experience, fun and challenges. They also serve, ironically, to bring people together and make for great "water cooler" conversations.

So, with that in mind ... what are some of YOUR favorite rivalries?

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip" ... still employable...
'72,6,9/'81,7.hobbies.chdQB = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
MC Guide = http://www.chevyasylum.com/mcspotter/main.html
IL & area MCs = http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/imcog/
"I'm sick & tired of being politically correct" ... John Mellencamp ... 'Peaceful World'

Cubs/Cards

Cubs/Cards

Cubs/Cardinals definitely. Though I grew up in the East, my boyhood idol was Stan "the Man" Musial (I know that dates me). So I was hooked on the Redbirds. Albert Pujols may well be a Cardinals great right up there with The Man if the Cards can keep him for 15-20 years.

What does this have to do with the heart? Well it does my heart good to see Albert the Great smash the ball to all fields! :D

Cleveland Browns Vs Pitspuke Sqeelers, and Ohio State vs Michigan....

- John

The Old Oaken Bucket football game between Indiana University and Purdue University is a long-running rivalry that I've always followed.

Yea, Mary, you're right about the Pacers and Knicks. Reggie always had some brilliant last-minute shooting sprees during those playoff games. Love my Pacers. :) :)

MarkU said:
Mechanical v. Tissue Valves?

*grins*

I wondered if anyone was going to mention that one ;).

perrybucsdad said:
Cleveland Browns Vs Pitspuke Sqeelers

Hmmm...I wonder which team has your loyalties? ;)

And, Rob, the chances of the Cardinals keeping Albert all that long ... well, these days, I'm not so sure anymore. Doesn't seem to be much caring between the owners or players if they stay with the same team for over 1 year or not :(.

Sherry said:
The Old Oaken Bucket football game between Indiana University and Purdue University is a long-running rivalry that I've always followed.

Purdue 63 - IU 24

Oh Sherry, you just set yourself up:

What does the average Indiana University football player get on his SATs?
Drool.

How do you get an IU graduate off your porch?
Pay them for the pizza.

Why is the Indiana football team like an opossum?
Because they play dead at home, and get killed on the road.

How many Indiana freshmen does it take to change a light bulb?
None ... That's a sophomore course at IU.

Where was O. J. headed in the white Bronco?
Bloomington, Indiana . . . He knew that the police would never look
there for a Heisman Trophy winner.

Mark :D

perrybucsdad said:
Isn't Purdue in a third world country? :)

Hey now guys...I was raised in Indiana...still partial to it...BUT I was born in eastern Kentucky where they like to use guns. Have never been gator or buckeye hunting before. To tell the truth, don't know what a buckeye is, except a good peanut butter and chocolate candy.

Behave! (no, actually, have fun instead).

Wise

wise smith said:
...To tell the truth, don't know what a buckeye is,
Wise.... why don't you bend over :eek: and I'll show you what a Buckeye is.... :D :D :D

- John

perrybucsdad said:
Wise.... why don't you bend over :eek: and I'll show you what a Buckeye is.... :D :D :D

- John

Pervert!!

[Actually, I look it up in the dictionary and part of the definition includes the word "nutlike"....I thought that was strange since I can't think anyone from Ohio who is "nutlike"]

Way back in the OLD DAYS :eek: there was this thing called the NHL. They played hockey. There were two teams that were really big rivals. They were the Detroit Red Wings and the Colorado Avalanche, perhaps some of you may remember them :rolleyes:

MarkU said:
Purdue 63 - IU 24

Oh Sherry, you just set yourself up: Mark :D

:D :D O.K., Mark, you got me on that one. Hey, I even went there (IU) in the eighties and was at the famed b.ball game when Bob threw the chair, but I'll have to admit, we're pretty set on sending our son to Purdue to follow in his grandfather's and uncle's footsteps.

BTW, Mark, you probably told me this once before, but did you go to Purdue?

Sherry said:
:D :D O.K., Mark, you got me on that one. Hey, I even went there (IU) in the eighties and was at the famed b.ball game when Bob threw the chair, but I'll have to admit, we're pretty set on sending our son to Purdue to follow in his grandfather's and uncle's footsteps.

BTW, Mark, you probably told me this once before, but did you go to Purdue?

Graduated in '75. I actually came very close to going to IU - I was accepted at both schools and only decided at the last minute to enroll at Purdue. Both are great schools academically.

And I did spend a lot of great weekends in Bloomington chasing all those cute coeds...

Mark ;)

momshell7 said:
Way back in the OLD DAYS :eek: there was this thing called the NHL. They played hockey. There were two teams that were really big rivals. They were the Detroit Red Wings and the Colorado Avalanche, perhaps some of you may remember them :rolleyes:

I sort of remember them ... vaguely.

I think a team called the Blackhawks also provided a rivalry to the team known as the Detroit Red Wings ;).

Latest posts

Back