Fasting and INR Ratio

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve119

Hi this may seem like a ssilly question but I was just wondering what affect fasting would have on the INR ratio> The fasting would be no eating or drinking water during sunlight hours for 30 days, would this have a drastic affect on the INR? Thanks.

Since you would be changing your intake, I would think you'd see some change -- probably an increase in your INR, unless you compensate during evening hours.
I tend not to drink enough water. At those times, yes, my INR goes up. It's because the amount of warfarin in my blood is more concentrated.

Just out of curiosity why are you fasting? Are you sleeping during the day and up all night? sup?

With no food intake, and only Coumadin, if your taking it, I would think it would go dangerously high without frequent monitoring. You've got to maintain some sort of vit k intake.

I had a patient who did this for religious reasons - his INR went crazy. For the month that he fasted his INR was continually higher than the CoaguChek-S could measure. We had to keep reducing his dose every few days. Then when the fast ended, his INR bottomed out (much more dangerous) and we had to increase his warfarin dose every few days. His INR was out of line for about two months. He did not have a mechanical valve so his risk for a clot was much lower. He says that God watched over him. So hope the Big Guy is on your side when you do it.

Hi thanks for the replies. The fasting is for religious reasons. I'm just conccerned that doing it, will be too risky, though i thought if I compensated for not eating during the day, in the evening would that not cancel things out and leave me with a steady INR range?

Thanks

Hey any further adviceon above topic, the religious month of fasting is due to start and i am still unsure as too what to do?? Thanks

Only that it's going to be dangerous. Guess it depends on how serious you take your religion.

If this query relates to Ramadan (which in 2006 is due to start later this month), I do not think anybody needs to choose between their religion & their health.
I've lived in a couple of Muslim countries. Although not a Muslim myself, I know that there is an longstanding exemption from Ramadan fasting for anybody who is ill -- or for whom it would be medically dangerous. I think any imam will confirm this.
I admire very much Muslims who stick to the practice despite its hardships -- especially those in non-Muslim countries where they don't get cut much slack, at work or elsewhere. (It's easier in Muslim countries where things usually tend to slow down a bit during Ramadan, esp. when it occurs in the warmer months). But I don't think people should endanger their health.

I wasn't fasting per se, just lost my appetite and couldn't eat nor drink as I felt so nausious - my INR went to 8.9 within a few days. On the Monday it was 3.9, on Thursday it was 8.9. Not recommended.

Thanks for the replies guy, only it has made me more confused. I really want to observe ramadan, but also don't want to risk my health. Having a mechanical valve i am very fearfull of having a blood clot. The fasting only lasts from sunrise to sunset every day. Which in the uk will be from 6am to 6pm. If I was to make up for lack of food during these times in the evening, would that still have a major effect on the INR?

Steve,

The bottom line is that nobody knows what 12 hours of fasting for a month will do to the INR. My guess is that your INR will go up because you can't jam as much food into the evening as you could eat all day. However, this will make the INR go up, not down. Up means more likely to bleed and less likely to clot. Bleeds are almost always easier to treat than clots. Get your INR checked every week. Let us know how it turns out.

How about just rearranging your eating schedule?

Say Breakfast BEFORE sunrise,
Dinner just AFTER sunset,
and Supper before going to bed.

Would that comply with the tenants?

'AL Capshaw'

<< How about just rearranging your eating schedule?

Say Breakfast BEFORE sunrise,
Dinner just AFTER sunset,
and Supper before going to bed.

Would that comply with the tenants? >>

In Morocco, when I lived there, people would break the fast right after dark with a light meal -- the traditional saying ran, "as soon as you cannot distinguish a white from a dark thread." The theory was that a heavy meal after 12 hours fasting wouldn't be good for you. (It might also have been that no one wanted to be cooking while still observing the fast -- no tasting while you prepare food is really hard! -- so a big meal wouldn't be ready until later.)
Then, later in the evening, they would eat the main meal of the day. They would often have friends and family over, and stay up late into the night or early morning, especially if it was in summer; it could be quite festive. The hardest, I think, is that you can't drink during the day either.

Back