Fall 2007 Marathon Relay

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apologies for being an absentee Valveathoner

Apologies for being an absentee Valveathoner

It's a good thing I now have such a strong heart, because I've needed it! BUT -- skipping over that stuff and staying focused on being active...

I joined Jeff Galloway's Philly training group so that I'd be ready to run my 5K leg (just call me Stumpy) of this Akron Marathon relay. What I realized shortly after joining the group is that they were training for an actual marathon -- Philly in November.

Their enthusiasm was contagious. They were all manner of runner, from sub-8 minute hard core guys to first time walker/runners. Before I knew it, I was training at progressively longer distances. The thing is, my heart was the least of my issues!

Two weekends ago, I ran the Philly Distance Run (a half marathon). I was so slow that I make John "The Penguin" Bingham look like an Olympian, but I didn't care. My objective was 3:00, but came in at 2:45 (I think that's a 12:36 pace, but I'm not sure). This past weekend, I ran 22 miles in just over 5 hours. Monday, I ran a practice 5K at 11:20.

I've shed 25 pounds since January, want to take off another 15. I'm writing this post for only one reason: so that people who today are in the position I was in December '04 -- people just about to have surgery and having no idea what would be possible afterward -- know PRECISELY how far (or not) at least one 50 year old guy who'd been somewhat sedentary beforehand can go.

My goal now is to get fast and cut back on distance (5K, 10K and halfs are JUST FINE). Will post from time to time, but really it is to Mark Siwik that I want to say "thanks." Mark, you organize, you push, you lead by example. You are, as my daughters might say, "all that and a bag of potato chips." And to the rest of the inaugural Valve-o-Lenes team members, and to the latest additions: you guys make it fun! THANK YOU!!

Excellent!

Excellent!

Great post! Good finishes...I only got in 16.5 miles on Sunday, but I do enjoy them!

kodi said:
It's okay with me if we start or finish near St. Thomas Hospital...we just want to have anyone end up in it. :D
Ross, are you going to be there to cheer us on? :)

I read the map wrong. You'll start downtown Akron and then just beyond the 1 mile mark is St.Thomas hospital where you'll all turn around and run back toward the city. It'a a pretty tough course from what I can see.

MitralMan said:
Two weekends ago, I ran the Philly Distance Run (a half marathon). I was so slow that I make John "The Penguin" Bingham look like an Olympian, but I didn't care. My objective was 3:00, but came in at 2:45 (I think that's a 12:36 pace, but I'm not sure). This past weekend, I ran 22 miles in just over 5 hours. Monday, I ran a practice 5K at 11:20.

I've shed 25 pounds since January, want to take off another 15.

WOW! Way to go, Hugh! That is awesome. Thanks for being a relay team member - you must have been fighting an urge to do the whole thing yourself. ;)

I am looking forward to congratulating you in person on Friday.

Safe travels.

Hey We All Need A Push Now and Then

Hey We All Need A Push Now and Then

Hugh: I am thrilled to call you my friend and teammate! See you soon. Mark

Isn't it great that I can be ecstatic about such a slow time?

Isn't it great that I can be ecstatic about such a slow time?

Well, today was FANTASTIC. Just gorgeous weather, really nice course, excellent logistics, and, of course -- wonderful people. Each one of you is a gift.

Ross, when you put this site together, who knew we'd have this kind of detailed, athletic information on recovering (ed?) heart patients? I looked back at my posts from last year's marathon relay in Burlington, VT and saw that I came in at 201 lbs and ran a 12:54 pace for my stumpy 5K leg.

Well, today I came in at 187 lbs and ran a new PR for the Akron stumpy 5K leg at a 10:42 pace. That's more than 2 minutes shaved off my pace. If I can do this, trust me: ANYONE can.

Once more, a huge thank you to Mark -- AND LORI!! -- Siwik for taking the lead on making this happen. And Mark, well...you know. Thanks for not letting me back out.

Next year in Philly or the Jersey Shore, right, Laura? Who's in??

MitralMan said:
Ross, when you put this site together, who knew we'd have this kind of detailed, athletic information on recovering (ed?) heart patients? I looked back at my posts from last year's marathon relay in Burlington, VT and saw that I came in at 201 lbs and ran a 12:54 pace for my stumpy 5K leg.

Well Ross didn't set this site up, that is all Hanks doing. I'm just the glue that tries to keep it together.

Latest posts

Back