Expired CoaguChek XS strips

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGymGuy

I see that some places sell expired, like 1-3 years expired, but new, CoaguChek XS testing strips. The 24pk and 2x24pk would average out to about $2-$2.50 per strip.

If the strips have expiration are they still good after? What is the reason that they sell 2 year expired strips? Are these safe to use for accurate counts?

Just wanted to throw it out there. Also, I remember one of the members here, protimeinr, saying that he sometimes uses expired strips, and I wanted to see if anyone else has any data on that.

I've never used expired CoaguChek XS strips. I don't know if the expiration dates were made to maintain test quality, or more as a method for ensuring continuous sales of strips. I really don't know. I'm not sure that, at $2 - $2.50 a strip (when you can get 'fresh' strips for about twice the cost), it's worth taking the risk. (That said, if I used an XS and couldn't afford non-expired strips, I may give them a try. If I had current strips, and could order the expired strips, I might do parallel tests and see if the results match).

Someone on this forum said that InRatio strips are good for a year after the printed expiration date. I was able to get some that had expired, and the results seemed to still be accurate.

When buying expired strips, even though they aren't supposed to require refrigeration -- I suspect that the strips STILL need to be kept out of extreme heat. If the strips were stored in a hot car or truck, or in a trunk or glove box, or even subjected to some really hot summer days, the reagents could, possibly, degrade.

I don't know if the CoaguChek XS would even accept expired strips - the code chip may have some kind of date code, and the only way the meter would allow you to use the strips is to change the date on the meter. The InRatio doesn't seem to have the capability of knowing when a strip is expired. You may just have to trust quality control on the strip (but that, too, could possibly be degraded over time).

When I used the ProTime meter, the strips required refrigeration and weren't supposed to be kept out of the refrigerator for more than a few days. A date code was printed on the cuvette (their word for strip), and it the meter detected an expiration date, it wouldn't accept the cuvette. I was able to get around the problem by resetting the date on the meter, and the cuvettes seemed to work accurately.

But - in answer to your question about the CoaguChek XS -- I really don't know. Even if the meter allowed you to use expired strips, is your life worth the $2-2.50 that you save? (And, again, if you can buy just a few strips, and test them against strips that are current, maybe the risk is minimal or non-existent)

Thanks for your response. I think I saw some threads were some people wanted expired strips or maybe were using expired strips and not knowing the difference between the strips or devices I thought this would be a good question to ask.

Ok, so no buying expired strips for me then. $189 for 48 is not that bad of a deal, but saving money is saving money.

Again, thanks for your response.

some things don't worry me with expired dates, such as a can of soup, but with my Coaguchek XS monitor I am very fussy that
I always have a current supply of strips. Yesterday I ordered 24 (1 year supply) for about $200. No big deal, my well-being is worth it.

Hey Bina, thanks for your response - totally makes sense. Amazon and EBay sell 48 strips for close to 200 as well. This would allow for weekly testing for me with new strips. ;)

I just purchased 48 coaguchek xs strips for $179 on ebay. They expire 4/13 which works out well since once in awhile my doc wants me to check twice a week, if I'm taking a new drug or such. This is my first foray into getting strips from other than Edgepark. My insurance copay with them is $105 for 12 strips. I'm hoping these are okay, seal intact and I will be very happy. I don't think I would use expired strips, since the good ones are out there for a good price!

Latest posts

Back