Exercise Post-AVR? (Running vs Cycling)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neo

Hey everyone,

I'm wondering what the best exercise options are post AVR. I have been really interested in taking up cycling (biking). I am not required to take Coumadin. Would there be any added stress on the new aortic valve when riding a bike vs running?

I appreciate any thoughts on this!

Thanks,
Neo

myself personally I prefer cycling because I can more easily keep moving and keep my HR between target ranges (using the gears). I have difficulty doing that with running (without breaking into a walk).

as far as stress on the valve goes the stresses come from weights not cardio as far as I know. I asked my surgeon this exact thing specifically and he said no to squats with heavy weights and "go wild" to cycling and said he did not have a max HR for me (my cardiac arteries were in great shape) and that my own body would let me know my max.

that's my thoughts

I was advised 85% was my max. Early on I was careful to watch my bpm and I did get close, however, recently I have noticed my hr doesn't really go over 150 due to my meds and current conditioning. I am 10 months post and just got approved to do whatever i want. A little over two months from now I will be doing a half and four a full.

Like pecille said weights and cardio is different.

I used to run daily, but after over 30 years of that, my knees will no longer agree to continue. I've switched to a routine of riding a stationary bike 4 or 5 miles at 16+ MPH, then power-walking on an inclined treadmill for another mile or two daily, in addition to outdoor walking (1 to 5 miles daily, weather and time permitting). I try to keep my heart rate in the upper 130's to mid 140's (I'm now 67), and find that this helps me to maintain weight and conditioning.

My cardio was a lot like pellicle's - I'm advised not to lift heavy weights but can do high reps of lighter weights. I use a pair of 15 lb. hand-weights and also do body-weight exercises like push-ups (sets of 50). Absent other health issues, I doubt that you will have any trouble with either biking or running. If you have a history of aneurysm, things may be different.

Also, depending what meds you are taking, you may find that the meds are more of a limiter than your body. In my case, I still take a beta blocker - which limits my max heart rate, no matter how hard I train.

Whatever you choose - just do it. Fitness is a lot like the choice to have valve surgery. . . (IMHO) the only bad decision is the decision to do nothing.

Like others after my second AVR and ascending aortic repair I was advised to avoid heavy weights, those that require breath holding to lift. There were no restrictions placed on aerobic exercise. I now do 3-4 45 minute or hour spin classes per week supplemented by sets of tricep dips and incline bench sit-ups. I also do several 30-45 minute sessions on an ellipse per week. I would like to do some weights however due to non heart related elbow tendonitis this usually results in several days pain post workout, so I now avoid this

Latest posts

Back