Enlarged Aorta New Diagnosis.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad I found this forum, this is my first post here, lots of good information...Its decision time for me

.... A bit of background , I've been diagnosed with an enlarged ascending aorta 5.3 (bicuspid valve) so it needs to get fixed..I'm 51 so relatively young. Initially the surgeon was looking at valve sparing as it appeared from early tests the bicuspid valve was doing ok,but an Angiogram shows different results (calcification). so I will have the valve replaced.
With my age a mechanical appears to make the most sense and I am reading up on what is required " lifestyle wise" on an anti-coagulant. I'm quite physically active, enjoying lots of outdoor sports (offroad motorcycling, x-country skiing, hockey, trail running) so concerned about the associated risks. I'm not a daredevil at any of those sports and am quite cautious, typically suffering nothing more than scrapes and the odd bruise.

At first I was thinking non-mechanical but after doing more reading I'm not so sure...

no real question I guess, probably no "right" answer anyway... just trying to process all the information.

thanks

matthew

Hi and welcome

mattymurn;n850358 said:
I'm glad I found this forum, this is my first post here, lots of good information...Its decision time for me

At first I was thinking non-mechanical but after doing more reading I'm not so sure...

no real question I guess, probably no "right" answer anyway... just trying to process all the information

Everything you have said makes it clear to me you are on the right path to finding the rightest answer for you. Thinking pondering and questioning are what you need to do to find the right mix for you.

I guess you'll see that I too do the same mix of things as you listed. Life goes on post surgery and living life is the important thing.

When you do have questions,don't hesitate to ask :)

mattymurn;n850358 said:

.... A bit of background , I've been diagnosed with an enlarged ascending aorta 5.3 (bicuspid valve) so it needs to get fixed..I'm 51 so relatively young. Initially the surgeon was looking at valve sparing as it appeared from early tests the bicuspid valve was doing ok,but an Angiogram shows different results (calcification). so I will have the valve replaced.
With my age a mechanical appears to make the most sense and I am reading up on what is required " lifestyle wise" on an anti-coagulant. I'm quite physically active, enjoying lots of outdoor sports (offroad motorcycling, x-country skiing, hockey, trail running) so concerned about the associated risks. I'm not a daredevil at any of those sports and am quite cautious, typically suffering nothing more than scrapes and the odd bruise.

no real question I guess, probably no "right" answer anyway... just trying to process all the information.

thanks

matthew

Hi Matty,
Sounds like you are closer to surgery than me, sorry to hear about your diagnosis but it sounds like you are very fit which gives you the best chance of a full recovery. Everyone has a different theory on valve selection & criteria but my view is the fewer surgeries the better so I will be choosing mechanical & I will have to adjust my lifestyle to live with warfarine. Discuss your options with your cardiologist, do some research on here & arrive at an informed decision.
Wishing you all the best, Richie.

Latest posts

Back