Emotional Rollercoaster

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I was ready for my surgery. I knew from the time I was 10 till the time it happened 42 years later the time would come some day that I would undergo a 2nd open heart surgery. Of course all the things that go through your head before hand do, and they probably should. It is major surgery, and anytime they put you under its a risk. That said the rate f success in valve replacement surgery has gotten so high that if you are in relatively good health going in its not as bad as you think.
I had my surgery at Emory, for my wife it was great, as they had a couch in the room that made into a bed so she got to stay with me the entire time I was in the hospital. It was a comfort for her and for me having her there. Just remember once you are allowed, walk walk and then walk some more. The more walking you do the quicker they will let you go home! And remember don't slouch when you walk, or some nurse will yell at you for it lol.

Sharon, I had my AVR on 8/6/08 and the breathing tube was a non-issue. I was worried about it pre-op and in retrospect it was a waste of time. IF YOU CAN focus on how good you are going to feel that first time you open your eyes and realize you made it and you have a new valve (s).

Do tell the anesthesia folks how nervous you are however. They want you to be relaxed as much as you want to be relaxed.

You'll have my prayers starting now. Barbara

Do tell the anesthesia folks how nervous you are however. They want you to be relaxed as much as you want to be relaxed.

Exactly. And, for that matter, that goes for the surgeons, too. The more relaxed you can be, the better. And, communication between medical professionals and patients is key to being a bit more relaxed...or, at least, give the opportunity of being more relaxed....

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"These hands are meant to hold" ... All-American Rejects ... 'Move Along'

Latest posts

Back