Electrostatic touch after surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Edmonton

Since my surgery a week ago, when I returned home it seems like every time I touch a light switch I get a small shock from electrostatic discharge. This has never happened to me around my house before and it seems odd. I have wood floors and wear slippers. Has anyone noticed something like this before?

I am surprised after being exposed to the electrosurgical unit which is used during surgery to cauterize the bleeding tissue the lack of pain, it basically implodes the cells. I would have thought that there would be a feeling of being burned, maybe the tissue is cooled by the internal body which makes if feel less affected. The ESU uses current with a return pad under your body that should act as a path of least resistance.

Welcome back Jeff....very happy your surgery went well, wishing you a speedy uneventful recovery !!!!!!! When you walk, do your legs (and clothing) rub together? Are you shuffling your feet? Both methods will increase static buildup. Maybe you could replace the switches to wood or rubber ones. Maybe it is an electrical problem, are they old ? It is strange this started after your surgery.....maybe, it is because your circulation has improved.... thus making your fingers more sensitive.
Hope it resolves soon, sorry I am not of more help.
Go Team 2011 !!!!!
Renee

PS....maybe you just have an "electrifying personality" :)

I think that the flow of blood past the new mechanical valve is creating a static build up within my body, I am not dragging my feet or rubbing my knees together and I am not crazy...lol. The other possibility is that the air is really dry in the house and it cound be causing this anomaly.
Maybe a question for Myth Busters.

Do you have a humidifier in the house?

The dry air is a major cause

TAKEN FROM http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/eliminatestaticelectricity.html

Static Elimination Tips
Our expert in static electricity in the electronics industry suggests trying the following to get rid of static electricity problems in your home or office:

1) Increase the humidity in your house and workplace. Air is much drier in the winter, which increases the frequency and severity of shocks. Use a humidifier.

2) Change clothes - switch to natural fibers, since synthetics pick up more of a static charge.

3) Change shoes - there are special conductive shoes in a variety of styles. They are made for people working in the electronics industry. You will need to find a store or catalogue that sells or can order them for you. (Search online for "esd shoes")

4) If your skin is very dry - try an anti-static hand lotion (also available for the electronics industry.)

Search online for "esd shoes" or "antistatic products"
Enter your search terms Submit search form

Here are 3 more suggestions for static control from other sources:

1) Walk barefoot. (Or, as silly as it may sound, cover your shoes with aluminum foil when possible) to reduce the static buildup.

2) Wear a thimble on your finger, or carry a coin, and use them to touch grounded metal objects as often as possible. This will not eliminate the static discharge, but will stop the pain you feel in your fingertips.

3) Be sure to ground yourself before touching sensitive electronic equipment

Good call Greg, I still like the theory of the new valve creating an electrical field that I could tap into for a power source for the future...lol

I could have a light bulb implanted and go on the Dragon's Den show!

PRESENTING THE ALL NEW JEFF

stockphotopro_68167QLG_no_title.jpg

muttly.gif

Latest posts

Back