effect of vomiting, diarrhea, and not eating much for a couple of days on INR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herb M

Today I had the highest INR I have had for decades, 6.43. My normal range is 2.5-3.5. I vomited 4 times Monday morning and had diarrhrea the same morning. I ate very little for about 2 days,Monday and Tuesday. I did drink some Gatorade. For the past few days I had very little greens, but I usually do not eat much greens.

I will hold back the coumadin for two days (I already taken it today beore my blood draw). I will recheck in 3 days.

Anyone know if the vomiting and diarrhea and lack of eating earlier in the week could cause the high INR?

Yes, Vomiting and Diarrhea can affect INR, either Up or Down, depending on when these occurred relative to when you took your Coumadin.

I don't have my Dosing Guide (from AL Lodwick) handy at the moment so I will let the Self Dosers chime in with their recommendations on dosing. (A 2 day Hold bothers me though as many who hold that long "Drop like a Rock".)

'AL Capshaw'

Al, the Lodwick guide says hold dose and recheck in 24-48 hours. When theraputic reduce weekl ydose 15-20%

The aafp table says hold no doses or two doses. Reduce weekly dose by 10-20%.

I took my coumadin after the V and D episodes ended later in the morning.

I guess I will hold it for one day, tomorrow, and check in 2 days after the hold.

Diarrhea can cause INR increase. I found this out week before last on a cruise ship. I'd had diarrhea for couple days, I tested and had 6.1 INR. The ships doctor said it wouldn't effect INR, I didn't believe him. Went online and found it could raise INR.
I stopped warfarin for 2 days and started back at reduced dosage until I got over the diarrhea. I wasn't vomiting. Lasted 4 days, last 2 days on clear liquid diet but took wife and I a week to get back to feeling normal.
Lot's of folks on the ship had the same thing... we are very careful about cleanness. so we suspect the food.

For a 6.4, I'd hold two doses, then take a half dose and resume schedule. Only if the terror has ended though.

Latest posts

Back