Echocardiogram Report - Help me Understand

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat J

I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't understand what is "normal" for peak and gradient. Two years post aortic valve replacement (carbon) my peak gradient is 50 mmHg and mean is 30 mmHg. I've tried reading about it on the internet, but feeling a bit dense.

Pat

Pat J;n857121 said:
I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't understand what is "normal" for peak and gradient.
Don't be, to be honest I don't know what's what with those either. I trust my cardiologist and surgeon with that, and so far have had no reason to doubt them.

Hopefully someone else will chip in with a better understanding of that. My personal bent is the study of warfarin and INR

:)

Numbers aside if you are uncomfortable with the diagnosis and you "feel" differently to what the Dr is advising, then get another opinion

Best Wishes

pellicle;n857122 said:
Pat

Numbers aside if you are uncomfortable with the diagnosis and you "feel" differently to what the Dr is advising, then get another opinion

I dont fully grasp what the numbers mean either, what I do know is this. Without knowing the difference between peak and mean, I have long been told that 45 is considered severe. I guess thats probably peak but dont really know. Anyhow I had been at around 30-35 for several years. About 4 months ago I had an echo and was measured at 85! That cardiologist said it was bad and that I would need surgery in a year or two. Didnt like the doctor or what he had to say nor how he said it. So I found a new cardiologist, not expecting any different news, but just a second opinion and hopefully if I was nearing needing to do something about my valve someone whom I hopefulyy liked better and was more comfortable entrusting my care to. Anyhow, new cardio was much easier to talk to and willing to listen to me and explain things. He ordered a new echo and didnt trust the result so performed a heart cath, measured my gradient at that time at 50, not 85. Anyhow he also said I was very near needing surgery, but not in a year or two, HE SUGGESTED IN A MONTH OR TWO! Numbers high or low, dont always tell them everything. My numbers werent nearly as high as previously measured but further investigation let them see my vavle and the poor shape its in, barely even opening and closing, yet I have no symptoms. Thank God I didnt rely on the first doctor and got a second opinion. AVR surgery scheduled for August 11 with an amazing surgeon that my new cardiologist highly recommended. So happy I sought a second opinion and found my new cardiologist and surgeon. Both excellent at what they do and very nice people too!

I'm not sure either but I think it's a measurement of how much your valve resisting the blood flow through it. In my 1st post up echo while still in the hospital I was told my mean was 7 mmhg but I'd have to look up the peak.

I looked it up and 5 days post surgery my peak was 7.4 and my mean was 4 mmhg. Good thing you got the 2nd opinion as I would think 85 would be cause for surgery as soon as possible.
I think peak is the highest resistance to flow measured and mean is the average.

Latest posts

Back