echo scores?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bvdr

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi, I followed that same link on valvoplasty that fdegranville mentioned and found it a very interesting article. I'll do so more search today but does anyone here already know how you determine an echo score?
Thanks, Betty

ef #rs

ef #rs

normal ef vrs not;

normal 55-65%
mildly reduced 45-55
moderately '' 35-45
severely '' < or = to 35

Medtronic

Thanks to both of you. I think the Wilkens echo score is the one referred to in the article. It doesn't look like something I could really figure out by myself with just my echo report. I guess I'll just have to ask my cardio but now at least I'll have the background. Hope you are both feeling well today. Betty

echo score

echo score

Hi Betty,
From what I read, the total score is 16 with 4 points, 4 things assessed. I think most of it is based on the person evaluating the tape. I have never seen an echo score on any of my reports. The values they assess are very specific to mitral stenosis. I wonder how the system works for other valve lesions and if you have two or more valves involved how do they score? Too bad we don't have a good echo tech member to answer some of these questions.

Hope you are well Betty,
francesca
Has anyone had an echo score?
Some people say they have a percentage of regurg indicated on their reports I wonder if that is how they score insufficiency?

echo score

echo score

Hi Betty,
From what I read, the total score is 16 with 4 points, 4 things assessed. I think most of it is based on the person evaluating the tape. I have never seen an echo score on any of my reports. The values they assess are very specific to mitral stenosis. I wonder how the system works for other valve lesions and if you have two or more valves involved how do they score? Too bad we don't have a good echo tech member to answer some of these questions.

Hope you are well Betty,
francesca
Has anyone had an echo score?
Some people say they have a percentage of regurg indicated on their reports I wonder if that is how they score insufficiency?

understanding valve diagnosis and treatmeent

understanding valve diagnosis and treatmeent

Betty & Francesca -

If you're really keen to understand how valve disease progresses, how specific valve lesions are evaluated and managed, I highly recommend the following:

ACC/AHA Guidelines for the Management of Patients With Valvular Heart Disease

http://www.acc.org/clinical/guidelines/valvular/3205p149.pdf

ACC/AHA Pocket Guidelines for Management of Patients with Valvular Heart Disease

http://www.acc.org/clinical/guidelines/valvular/PValvulr.pdf

If you don't have a health sciences background and find this material to be too technical at first, consdider reading the background material at Heartcenteronline.com

http://www.heartcenteronline.com/index2.cfm

Read enough of this stuff and you'll really start to get the hang of it. It's technical and full of jargon, but at the end of the day, it's English.

Good luck.

Appointment

Appointment

Betty,
Are you seeing the surgeon tomorrow? I know you have been doing a lot of research and are very well informed.

Good luck and let us know what he says.

fdeg

Francesca,

Yes, tomorrow I have a consultation with Dr. Glower up at Duke. My records were all sent except for a couple of ER visits for SVT and Rapid Atrial Fib. I stopped at the hospital for the records this AM and ran into a nurse anesthesist that I used to work with and she was just raving about the wonderful valve repairs and replacements being done right here at our hospital. One more thing to think about I guess.

I don't really know what to expect tomorrow. I personally think I should have a stress echo done but I did so poorly with my cardiolite stress test that I'm not sure I want to be "stressed" again. Anyway, I'll just wait and see what he has to say.

I'm about a third of the way packed for moving and between moving and this heart thing is REALLY INCONVENIENT.

Thanks for asking. I'll let you know what transpires.

Betty

Latest posts

Back