Echo done, now I have to wait a week!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

realkarl

Radiation survivor
Supporting Member
After my episode with a racing heart a week ago, I was eagerly awaiting the results of my echo today. I have an appt with my cardio on Monday in another week to discuss the results, but I figured due to the episode and my expressed anxiety, I could ask him to quickly review and give me a summary. But no, he is not working from his office for several days and "it may be a while"... He frequently spends time at another hospital. I know he has access to GHC's data system from there as well. Arggh... GHC will not release any results until reviewed by a doctor. I am starting to wish for another cardio. It's not the first time this has happened. I am relatively confident everything is just fine, but the waiting is still no fun!

Maybe I'll ask my surgeon. I think he may have access to the same data, and is so much more responsive. I am kind out of his "jurisdiction", but still.

Karl.

While I understand your eagerness, it isn't all that unusual to wait a week for cardio to discuss echo results with patient. It's usually about 4-5 days for me and I'm used to it.

Best Wishes.

BTW....... what is GHC? I'm from East Coast and can't figure out what that stands for. Thanks.

GHC is my HMO (Group Health). Thanks, yes, I guess it's pretty common. Working with computers I am used to quick answers to everything, while doctors generally have another workflow.

My Cardio prefers to schedule Echo's just BEFORE a regular checkup. That way, he can review the Tape before coming into the Exam Room and I get the results the Same Day as the test, usually within a couple of hours.

IF for some reason I need an echo before my regularly scheduled check-up, it can be arranged and some other Cardio will review the results which can then be picked up at the Records Office. (My Cardiology group has 25 Cardio's so there is always someone checking test results!)

'AL Capshaw'

it isn't all that unusual to wait a week for cardio to discuss echo results with patient

it's hard to believe that could be the normal situation. i've never had
to wait for echo results. VA hospital in texas, about 1/2 hour wait. VA
hospital in new mexico, got results soon after i woke up. at four
different hospitals in china, wait was less than ten minutes. in india,
toe and tee results within 15 minutes of being wheeled back to my
room. and for two echos in icu, wait was negligible. the first one i'm
still a little fuzzy on, the second one surgeon came in as the tech was
finishing up.

i'll probably get another echo towards the end of this month. will be
ten months post-op (five weeks before running a marathon). i'll try
to remember to come back and post the wait time for echo results
in thailand.

There are definite advantages in dealing with a one man cardio practice:) My cardiologist joins the technician during the echo session and the two of them then discuss the results, so than I am more or less clued up right there and then. (they probably don't do that with all their patients).Afterwards I join the cardio in his office and we discuss the situation. The written report is available the next day and is faxed to me, my GP and the surgeon. I cannot begin to imagine a cardio practice with 25 cardios!!

When I see my cardio his nurse weights me,does an ekg,asks a few questions, and then I get the echo down the hall.With in 5 minutes after the echo the cardio comes in and tells me what my status is.I never have to wait.All this take place in about 30 minutes.

Latest posts

Back