Early Detection of Mechanical Valve Dysfunction Using a New Home Monitoring Device

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
early detection device paper

early detection device paper

Thanks for this very interesting link.

Is this device implanted or situated outside the body?

portable not implanted

portable not implanted

lance,

This is a portable device that I believe has to be calibrated to each individuals prosthetic heart valve. Somebody correct me if I am wrong but the frequency output from a mechanical valve is different in each patient just as there are not any snow flakes exactly alike.

In this particular study 25 out of 483 patients (5.17%) had thrombus formation. Thankfully these patients had there clots resolved without stroking.

Kind of makes you wonder how many of you have had thrombi on your valve without even knowing it especially when you have had coumadin stopped for procedures without bridge therapy. Keep in mind that just because you have a clot (thombus) on your valve does'nt mean you are going to have a stroke. If you have stopped coumadin for a procedure without bridge, you may have developed a small thrombus without realizing it and when you started back on coumadin, the coumadin probably kept it from getting larger and then breaking away causing an embolic stroke so you could have been flirting with disaster without even realizing it.

One of the most common symptoms for mechanical heart valve thrombus is an absent or muffled valve click. You would think that when you go to the anticoag clinic or physicians office for your INR checks that it would be protocol for someone to listen to your valve and in most cases I don't think that is done.

Latest posts

Back