dwfreck's choice.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dwfreck

Everyone,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences, your opinions, your biases and your thoughts related to valve selection. They have been invaluable to me during my own decision process.

I have made the decision. I have selected the Ross procedure as "plan A" and a Carpentier-Edwards bovine pericardial valve as "plan B" if the surgeon determines during the operation that the Ross procedure won't work for me. If the surgeon feels we need a "plan C" then I'll have some quick thinking to do, but I've got a few ideas in mind.

So you don't have to go hunting for it, here is my medical history: congenital bicuspid aortic valve, currently both stenotic and regurgitating, received recommendation for surgery in Sep, 2003. No other heart problems, but personal and/or family history of colon polyps, prostate cancer, and anemia.

For the benefit of anyone facing this decision, here are the reasons for my choice:

1) I prefer NOT to be on lifetime anti-coagulation therapy at the present time. The folks here have convinced me that Coumadin IS manageable, and that there is significant hope for a more manageable alternative. However, I want desperately to return to downhill skiing, among other "contact" sports, and my doctors and I feel that there is too great a risk of brain hemorrage if I ski while on anti-coagulation therapy of any kind.

2) I believe I can handle a second surgery some time down the road. I know it will be more risky and more difficult. I know that I can't predict my future health or how it will affect my chances in a second surgery. However, I believe the risks are still relatively small and are therefore worth taking to reach the goals I have for my life and lifestyle.

3) Since reasons #1 and #2 lead to the choice of a tissue valve, I wanted to pick the tissue option with the greatest longevity. Neither the Ross procedure nor the CE valve have track records longer than about twenty years, but the track records they do have look very promising and seem to be extending into the seventeen to twenty year longevity range. I picked the Ross over the CE valve because it has, at least intellectually, the possibility of being a "permanent" solution. (NOTE: the word permanent is in quotes because I know that every valve choice has the possibility of developing problems).

If or, more likely, when I need a second replacement valve, I'll be at a different point in my life, my goals will have changed, and I'll more than likely make a different choice.

I'll post the details of the who, where and when of the surgery in the "Pre-surgery" forum as soon as I know them all (I'm still waiting on the "when").

Well Dale,

You seem at peace with your decision and I know that you put a lot of thought into it. You chose what you believe is best, and if everything goes well, will get what you wanted. Surgery is never guaranteed, of course, and the surgeon may make another choice if the situation warrants once he gets "in there," but that's an uncertainty that we all face.

I've told my surgeon what my choice is, but also let him know that I NEVER want to do this again, and to call the shots if he sees something that indicates a different choice should be made. I usually don't give my mechanic (plumber?:p ) carte blanc, but in this case I have to put my complete faith in his hands because I won't be awake to discuss it with him.

Your well-reasoned research and discussion on your selection process will undoubtedly be of great help to others who are on the same path. We each have to make our own decision, of course, but it is extremely helpful to know what others have considered and done, and why.

Thanks for sharing. Good luck on getting a date - hope that it's soon!

Dale - Glad you have reached a decision, and that I was in a small way helpful in that process. I disagree with that decision, but fully acknowledge that it is your decision and will hopefully be here to cheer you on during the process. I sincerely hope you do well and enjoy the thrills of risk-taking that seem to make life worthwhile. I'm a former downhiller, and whitewater kayaker so I can easily relate. I probably won't be around for your second surgery which I'm going to assume will be a mechanical valve -- but then you might surprise me. Best of wishes - Chris

Making the decision is very hard!!! I'm glad you've made it. We are here behind you. Best of luck and let us know when the surgery is and if we can help in any other way.

Heather

What matters most is that you are comfortable with your decision, and you certainly seem to be. Good luck !

Dale,

Congratulations on your decision. I posted my decision a few days ago and came to the same exact conclusions. Just replace skiing with surfing and our reasons were the same too. No one can predict the future, so I think any decision one makes that doesn't cause "buyer's remorse" is the right decision.

I've found my surgeon and hospital, just not a date yet, assuming he comes to the same decision that I need surgery. He hasn't even met me or seen my echo tapes yet, but when I had my post-endocarditis cardiology consult the cardio and the surgeon I saw came to that conclusion immediately. Hopefully I will be meeting him in next two weeks and we can "light this candle".

Good luck and let us know the details as they unfold.

Congratulations on your decision... I'm not surprised at your choice. My first choice was the bovine.

On more piece of food for thought: if your aortic root is distended (a not-uncommon occurence with a bicuspid stenotic valve) you may need to consider a homograft, which will leave you completely "tissued". I only mention it becuse you have to plan ahead to make sure a 'graft is in stock locally.

I look forward to your great success!

Excellent question Bill! :D

I moved to Nashville from Raleigh about a year and a half ago. My parents have a place at Emerald Isle and I used to surf quite a bit. In recent years I just haven't had the energy to do much more than float around on my board and look like a grommet (i.e. surfing nerd). I'm hoping to get some of that energy back and get back into hanging ten (or more likely wiping out ten). I can take a half day off on Friday and be on the beach by sunset thanks to Southwest. :)

Dale,

It's great to get these decisions behind you, isn't it? I guess the other decisions are the when, who and how???

I know I always felt like the sword of Demolicl----- hanging over my head.:) can't spell that Greek name:D

I wish you the best and the best outcome of your decisions.

I seem to be the exception to the rule as far as the dreaded operation, but I didn't think it was too bad. In fact I do believe I could go thru it again next year if it came to that (without being depressed) Even tho I was 3 months shy of my 67 b-day, I was in excellent health, and maybe that, among other things, is why I handled it so well.

Dale: Congratulations! Isn't it a relief to have made the choice! You're doing it the reverse from me: I got my surgeon and my hospital, and still don't have a valve choice. But that's because I'm supposed to have a repair. I went with my guy partly because I liked his confidence he could do one. I've yet to discuss what valve he'll use if it turns out he can't.

I'm still counting on him to come through on his claim of "there is 90-95 % chance I can do a repair" -- but this Friday I am seeing him again, and I have to (finally) talk to him re: valve choice in case he can't. I have thought about it a LOT, believe me. There are lots of personal reasons I don't want to deal with anti-coagulation therapy and some of the other issues of mechanical valves.

One thing that occurs to me about that is that nobody really knows for sure what valve surgery may entail in 10-15 years when the current tissue valves start needing replacement or what techniques may have been developed by then. "Second surgeries" may look completely different.

RAM,

In case your curious, it seems to be spelled "Damaclese" (that's what Yahoo! found).

RAM and Marge,

I have decided who, where and how. I actually decided who and where very early on, and well before picking the valve. As for the how, since I'm asking for a Ross procedure, there's no "minimally invasive" option, 'cause I want to give the surgeon as much room as he needs to do the extra-complex procedure. The only thing up in the air now is "when", and I'm waiting for a response for the surgeon's scheduling coordinator...

Marge,

You're right that the future of valve replacement is uncertain. However, given the amazing advancements we've seen since the first valve replacement, I would expect things to improve over time so that everyone, including second- and third-timers, could expect more favorable outcomes.

Note to everyone: my preceding statement to Marge does NOT mean that I intend to have a third surgery. I'm going to take each surgery one at a time, and make the decision that feels best for me at the time.

Actually it's Damocles. LOL ....

There once was a king whose name was Dionysius. He was so unjust and cruel that he won himself the name of tyrant. He knew that almost everybody hated him, and so he was always in dread lest some one should take his life.
But he was very rich, and he lived in a fine palace where there were many beautiful and costly things, and he was waited upon by a host of servants who were always ready to do his bidding. One day a friend of his, whose name was Damocles, said to him -
"How happy you must be! You have here everything that any man could wish."
"Perhaps you would like to trade places with me," said the tyrant.
"No, not that, O king!" said Damocles; "but I think that, if I could only have your riches and your pleasures for one day, I should not want any greater happiness."
"Very well," said the tyrant. "You shall have them."
And so, the next day, Damocles was led into the palace, and all the servants were bidden to treat him as their master. He sat down at a table in the banquet hall, and rich foods were placed before him. Nothing was wanting that could give him pleasure. There were costly wines, and beautiful flowers, and rare perfumes, and delightful music. He rested among soft cushions, and felt that he was the happiest man in all the world.
Then he chanced to raise his eyes toward the ceiling. What was it that was dnagling above him, with it's point almost touching his head? It was a sharp sword, and it was hung by only a single horsehair. What if the hair should break? There was danger every moment that it would do so.
The smile faded from the lips of Damocles. His face became very pale. His hands trembled. He wanted no more food; he could drink no more wine; he took no more delight in the music. He longed to be out of the palace, and away, he cared not where.
"What is the matter?" said the tyrant.
"That sword! That sword!" cried Damocles. He was so badly frightened that he dared not move.
"Yes," said Dionysius, "I know there is a sword above your head, and that it may fall at any moment. But why should that trouble you? I have a sword over my head all the time. I am every moment in dread lest something may cause me to lose my life."
"Let me go," said Damocles. "I now see that I was mistaken, and that the rich and powerful are not so happy as they seem. Let me go back to my old home in the poor little cottage amon the mountains."
And so long as he lived, he never again wanted to be rich, or to change places with the king.
[As retold by James Baldwin, of all people]

Dale,

Congratulations on your decision.

My cardio told me to do whatever I felt necessary to come to the right decison for me, and then don't look back. You have done your homework, your logic is sound, and you present it with confidence. You have a lot to look forward to on the other side of the mountain.

As for Plan "C", I have to chuckle just a bit. You can't plan for everything. I know (personally) that the engineering mind wants to fill in all of the gaps and have contingency plans for everything, but.........it's okay to leave the details of Plan "C" up to the surgeon. But you surely can make your druthers known ahead of time. In other words, flow chart it but don't write the code. :)

Spend some extra time with your family and do some fun stuff while you wait - hopefully not long.

I'll look forward to your posts in "pre-surgery".

Tom,

Actually, it was the surgeon himself who suggested "Plan C", almost in passing. I work on fault-tolerant, fully-redundant computers for a living, so I rarely look past "PLan B" and hadn't thought "Plan C" would be needed.

Hello, Dale.

I'm glad you are at peace with your decision. After all, this does seem to be the hardest part. I enjoy reading your posts. Each argument/comment you post appears to be well thought out. I'm sure you will happy with your choice. Best of luck:)

Congratulations on making your choice - it's a hard one as there's disadvantages/ risks associated with all of them. I chose the Ross 6 months ago for the same reasons you outlined. I'm a keen surfer (in Australia) and having been surfing now each week since surgery (after giving myself 6 weeks to give the bones a chance to heal)! I'm happy about the Ross but have just found out that my grafted pulmonary valve is showing signs of collapse. My only advice would be to check with the surgeon how many incidences of this has ocurred to his/her patients. All the best, I'm sure you will be back on the slopes soon!
Chris

Congratulations on making the big decision! Must feel good to have made your choice. You are an inspiration!

Congratulations Dale!
You will not regret the Ross Procedure. I had mine done 10/23/03 and just went for my 3 month check with the surgeon and everything is great. He told me he hopes to never have to see me again. I feel better than I have in years and I still haven't gotten back all my stamina. Last echo showed everything working like a charm. Couldn't even tell I ever had anything wrong. No more horrible murmur.
Good luck and let me know if I can be of any help.
Susan

Latest posts

Back