dwfreck's choice.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dale,
I am sure you will be happy with your decision, I have a homograft and love it.It's so hard making the valve choice,it's such a big wait off your shoulder. HFK

Dale

Congrats on your decision. I know that with Marvin once hemade that decision he felt much more relax about the whole think. We will keep you and all others on this sight in our prayers.

Barb

Dale, good luck to you Feb. 27th. I had a CE bovine implanted at Duke Medical Center on 11/3/03 due to your exact problem. I was faced of course ,with all the issues you are facing, and choose the tissue valve for about the same reasons you did.

One thing (amoung many) that worried me before the surgery was deciding that the probable second surgery would be "bearable", before I had even had the first AVR. Of course everyone is different, but my surgery/recovery, though not fun, was really very bearable. Only a couple of moments of actual pain(one was the removal of the chest tubes, and it only took about 2 seconds). Recovery was slower than I would have liked, but I went back to work after two months, and I am doing fine . I hope to get back into running and backpacking after a stress test this May.

I guess the point I want to emphasize is that the anticipation was worse than the actual event. You'll do fine.

Bob Bates

Hi Dale

I have also been waiting for my Ross Procedure for a while (November 03), and was hoping to be in surgery this week on the 25th, but have been "bumped" again from the top of the waiting list - for the second week in a row! Now I'm penciled in for March 3rd, as the surgeon only operates one day a week in the Public Hospital system. This can be a frustrating business...

I have two friends and a brother who have all had Ross procedures - the friend in New Zealand is training for a marathon in May three years after his surgery. My brother has had his five year check at age 42 and is doing fine.

We'll be praying for you as you go through the surgery (on the 27th?) that all will be well (and all manner of things will be well!)

Kind regards

Grant

Dale's surgery

Dale's surgery

Hi Dale, and all others here. I've read some of the posts and, first of all, I would like to wish you luck on the 27th, everything will be fine, trust God and your doctors. I find this an interesting thread because I myself can't make up my mind about which type of miral valve I'll be wanting for my fourth operation, which should take place in the furture, whether it be months or years, only God knows. About a month ago my doctor told me my own substitute (three times already) mitral valve has started to show signs of deterioration but it's still at an early stage. I've had three replacements and I must admit I'm so fed up with the whole thing! Unfortunately, since on the occasion of my third operation I was desperate to become a mother, I opted for yet another tissue valve and I guess now I'm paying the price for this choice. As a result of this choice, I have a beautiful daughter called Bruna who has made it all worthwhile, but I dont't think I could take a fifth one. That's why I'll probably opt for the mechanical one this time although there's no guarantee either way. I'd appreciate hearing your opinion, whatever you have to say. To read mroe about my condition than is posted on this site, check out my home page: http://uk.geocities.com/deboraginastewart1 I'm also interesting to know what is the maximum number of mitral valve replacements carried out on one patient. I'm headed for my fourth; is there someone who has had, or knows about somewone who has had, more? Thanks for your replies.

Latest posts

Back