Dressler's Syndrome

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveEM

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi folks, a little update: looks like (per my cardiologist) I have developed Dressler's Syndrome, a relatively rare autoimmune response to the heart surgery that cause inflammation of the sac that covers the heart and the lungs (in my case). That explains why I've been having extended cough spasms, back pain, etc., beyond when it was supposed to have gone away. Treatment is simple: high powered NSAIDs and maybe eventually steroids. We'll see how it goes.

Dave

Sorry to hear about this, Dave, but I hope that you shall overcome it soon. There are members who had this and they may share their experience with you.

With prayers and good wishes:)

Sending my thoughts and prayers your way, Dave. I hope that the NSAIDS will take care of this so that you can continue on a smooth recovery.

I had Dressler's. My doctors used the term interchangeably with Pericarditis. It's really not as uncommon as doctors would like you to believe. It can be quite a pain and painful though. Hoping you get over it soon!

Dressler's actually is pericarditis that occurs after a heart injury like infarction or OHS. Why they use a different name is beyond me since the symptoms, treatments, etc. are all the same.

Dave, I am sorry you are going through this as I know how painful it can be. At least a diagnosis helps to realize it's not something potentially fatal. Before my first diagnosis, I was convinced I was going to drop dead any second since the pain was so bad.

Sending you best wishes.

I had an aortic valve replacement nearly 2 years ago. Suffered first bout of dresslers approx 3 months after surgery - doctors found it very difficult to diagnose. NSAID's did not work but have had immediate success with steroids over several days. Have had about 4 or 5 recurrences, each time controlled successfully with steroids. Ensure that you get onto treatment early as leaving it only makes life more uncomfortable. Good luck with it all.

Almost over it

Almost over it

Hi All,

I'm on my second round of NSAIDs (Indomethacin) and the Dressler's is pretty much cleared up. I'm sleeping flat on my back finally, and I don't have any pain. In the evenings my breathing can get a little labored suddenly, but it goes away quickly. I'm walking fairly well and did a 3.3 mile walk on Sunday. So, things are progressing along, thankfully. Thank you for all your support so far!!

Dave

Latest posts

Back