Drainage Tube Incisions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arne

My drainage tube incisions were left open and they weren't stitched. I've asked everyone I could in the hospital and was re-assured that they would close up and heal normally.

Has anyone else been discharged with the drainage tube incisions left open? I change the bandages everyday and they're starting to develop a scab but I still essentially have two holes in my abdomen. Will they heal normally or will I have two additional belly buttons?!

Hi, Arne. Yes, mine were left open. They closed on their own. I have three small scars at the end of the incision scar line and the whole thing sort of reminds me of an anchor!

Mine not only closed up without sutures, but now at 3 1/2 years out, they have just about disappeared. Just follow your wound care instructions and they seem to take care of themselves. I know it may be a bit scary, when you think of where those incisions lead to, but they always seem to be non-issues.

No stitches for me either and I have no evidence of drainage tubes ever being there. :). Great advice from Steve in that you should follow the wound care instructions.
All the best,

Good to hear! One of the scabs accidentally came off with the bandage but hopefully it'll form a new one and heal normally. At least I can't see my insides anymore. ;)

I had stitches. They were removed a few weeks post-op (can't recall how long). I have leftover scars for the tube holes to go with my zipper scar. I tell people that I was shot 3 times, and cut with a knife, but you should see the other guy....at least I'm still standing.

slipkid;n849928 said:
I have leftover scars for the tube holes to go with my zipper scar. I tell people that I was shot 3 times, and cut with a knife, but you should see the other guy....at least I'm still standing.

I've told curious people that my sternum scar was ". . . from a knife fight that I almost lost."

I had one stitch for each tube hole - they originally held the drainage tubes in place. It was kind of odd because when they removed the drainage tubes, they cut the stitch and then somehow tied it back up with the tube gone. I never looked at my tubes so I'm not sure how that worked. (The nurse made a comment about "re-tying" the thread.) The stitches were removed the day I was discharged from the hospital.

Latest posts

Back