Dr. J. Oury or Dr. W. Ryan for a Ross Procedure?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

boomersooner

Does anyone know anything about Dr. James Oury from Rapid City SD. I am considering either him or Dr. William Ryan out of Dallas for a possible Ross Procedure. I have read great things about both and I know Dr. Oury has done like 250 RP and runs the Ross Registry and Dr. Ryan has done around 200 RP. Both like they are full of knowledge (from what I have read). I have only spoken with Dr. Oury but I hope to meet with Dr. Ryan soon. Any suggestions or feedback on either of these doctors?

Thanks
Jared

Rckrzy1 had a Ross performed by Dr. Ryan. He posts regularly so may come by to provide thoughts. Or you may want to PM him. Best wishes and good luck.

I had a mitral valve repair by Dr. Ryan in June 2007. Mine was a very complicated repair and he did a fabulous job as far as I'm concerned. He isn't big on handing out medication unless absolutely necessary, which was a real positive for me.

Good luck with your decision, it's one of the most important ones we'll ever have to make!

I am another one of Dr Ryan's satisfied customers. I had a mitral valve repair via port access in February this yr. I am doing great today and was really impressed with Dr Ryan. I had an issue with a-flutter that came up after my surgery where I was not confident in the cardiologist I had been seeing for 13 yrs. Dr Ryan stepped in and helped me with the problem.

Here's another Ross Procedure Expert who performed an RP on StretchL

Ross Procedure 12/11/06 by The Great and Powerful Dr. Paul Stelzer of Beth Israel Hospital, NYC. http://ps4ross.com

To view a photojournal of my experience with valve replacement surgery, please visit http://stretchphotography.com/avr and click on the word "Images." (Please note that there are four pages in the gallery.)

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am really leaning towards Dr. Ryan since he is so close to Tulsa and most of my family is in Texas anyway. He is an expert on the RP and I have been told nothing but good things about him. I hope to meet with him soon.

Several others here had RPs done by Dr. Ryan (Chilihead, for one, but I don't think he posts much anymore.) I sat with Chilihead's family while he had his surgery 4 years ago.

Dr. Ryan repaired my husband's MV in May 2007. I was very impressed with Dr. Ryan during our consult and all during John's hospitalization.
Also, I was impressed with John's care at Dallas Presby. He got more personalized attention from nurses than I got at Baylor.

Appointment with Dr. Ryan

Appointment with Dr. Ryan

Well, I have an appointment with Dr. Ryan on November 30th to go over all of my stuff and talk about the Ross Procedure.

Thanks for the feed back!
Well the nurse said that I can either have the surgery at Dallas Presb or at the "Brand New Heart Hospital Baylor Plano!!!" The Heart Hospital looks amazing with private rooms for you and your family. Either way the nurse I spoke with on the phone said Dr. Ryan would be doing it at whichever hospital I choose. I really hope I am able to do the Ross because it sounds like such a better option for me that the others.

Dallas Presbyterian Hospital

Dallas Presbyterian Hospital

I'll second what Adam said about Presby. The hospital looks old from the outside, but I found the facilities and especially the Cardiac Unit's nurses to be top-notch. When I had my surgery at Presby, my family stayed at the hotel on the 9th floor of the hospital.

That's would be a tough choice to make. Do you want the new, "fancy" hospital (that may not have all of the "kinks" worked out, but could be great), or the old, but reliable one that has a great track record? Regardless of which one you may choose, I imagine you'll get excellent care with Dr. Ryan leading the way.

Lee

Hey ... I've never thought of Dallas Presby as looking OLD... it is undergoing a lot of renovation.
I grew up in "Big D" (some call it Big Deal) and lived only 4 miles from Dallas Presby for many years. Our family doctor was on the staff at Baylor near downtown Dallas and talk about an OLD looking hospital -- that's Baylor.

My husband's room at Dallas Presby was much nicer than mine at Baylor. Nurses at Baylor left it up to my family to give me sponge baths; nurses at Presby gave my husband sponge baths. ;)

I've heard a lot of good things about Baylor in Plano. My RN niece worked there for a while in ICU, had cardiac surgery patients. When we were considering having Dr. Ryan operate on my husband, we ran his name past my niece. She called some other nurses and they said that if they had to have OHS, they would only have Dr. Ryan do it. We considered having John go to Baylor Plano, but Presby was more convenient, since I was to stay at my parents' home.

At either place, you'll be treated very well.

Well I am going to meet with Dr. Ryan on Nov. 30th to talk about the Ross Procedure. Dr. Ourey called after he got all of my records and said I would be an excellent candidate for the Ross Procedure so I am expecting Dr. Ryan to give me the same feed back. Dr. Ourey also said that he would recommend I have something done ASAP so we will see what Dr. Ryan says. If he wants to go through with the surgery soon we will probably set a date when we visit with him. I am leaning towards The Heart Hospital Baylor Plano but we will see when we get down there. I know my grandfather had a bypass at Dallas Presb so I have been there before, just never for treatment.

I had my surgery at Presby Dallas and it couldn't have worked out better because my family was able to stay right there in the hospital in the hotel they have on the 9th floor. I can't believe more hospitals don't offer that incredible service.

On the other hand Presby Dallas is old (sorry to offend anyone), not just in appearance, but in some of their technology. We couldn't use cell phones in the patient rooms and you had to get up and walk from your room to the lobby area if you needed to make or receive a call. The nurse told us it had something to do with a conflict with their paging system or something. They do, however, have wireless internet throughout and you could use a laptop in the patient rooms even though you couldn't use a cell phone.

Once I did the on-line tour of Baylor I was excited to have my surgery there. Until, that is, I found out my insurance would only authorize Presby Dallas.

It all worked out great in the end. I'm sure you'll get great care at either hospital.

Just wanted to pipe in from one fellow Okie to another. As your are doing, keep asking questions , research everything you can get your hands on and we will be in your corner. Keep us up to date with your progress so we can try to help in any way possible. I think that if you can get a hospital and an physician that you trust closer to home, it is plus. Flying back from Pittsburg to Okla city was ok but I have to admit it was a pain in the keester. If you do fly, get a bulkhead or exit seat reserved and have a wheelchair waiting on you at the airport when you arrive. Also, ditto on what rckrzyl said, write your questions down when you see the doc. It sounds like the docs you are thinking about have a great deal of experience which is absolutely critical particularly with Ross procedures. And lastly, since your moniker is Boomersooner, let me just say GO OU SOONERS.

tcopel said:
And lastly, since your moniker is Boomersooner, let me just say GO OU SOONERS.

Boomersooner, I should have mentioned this earlier, but I am also an Okie. But since I'm an OSU grad, I have to say GO COWBOYS!!

Haha, well my wife is OSU alum so its okay to have a Poke around here. I think they should just put a map on the back of each degree from OU and OSU that shows you how to get to Texas and get a real job...haha. Maybe directions from campus to I-35!

I have been writing down my questions for the Doc and have about 15 so far. Dr. Ryans nurse said my insurance would cover either hospital and I could decide which I wanted. I am leaning towards the newer Baylor Plano with the better tech. but who knows. I am going to see where Dr. Ryan recommends before I make a decision. I will also be sure to keep everyone updated. I am going in for some more tests on the 20th, then meet with my cardio on the 26th and then meet with Dr. Ryan on the 30th! Busy Busy, but I guess that is expected with OHS and all. Thanks again to everyone for their feedback.

BOOMER SOONER!

CAT Woman,

I'm still kicking around and chasing after my 2 small children. BTW, I now have 2 cats!

As you know last November was my 8th anniversary of th RP with Dr. Ryan.

I hope you're still doing well.

Jim

Latest posts

Back