Dr. Colvin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I had no idea. He saved my life! Thanks for posting this, jcat2006. Very sad for his wife and young children...

so sad

so sad

hi all,
i haven't been around at all, but when i read this obituary, i knew there would be mention of this here,
dr.colvin did my father's mitral valve repair a few years back. he was a brilliant surgeon and doctor. many folks had said that he did not have the best bedside manner, yet my dad really liked him a lot.
in fact, my parents are in florida and i just told my father about this and he was so upset at this loss. so young. so valuable.
may we be fortunate enough to find others like him around.
hope you are all doing well. it's been quite busy here, but we're ok.
i'll be back. stay well,
sylvia

NY Times Obit today

NY Times Obit today

Here's the obit from today's NY Times

March 15, 2008
Stephen Colvin, 64, Inventive Heart Surgeon, Is Dead
By DENNIS HEVESI
Dr. Stephen B. Colvin, a heart surgeon who promoted the now widespread use of a pioneering procedure for repairing a leaky heart valve and who also performed heart surgery on children all over the world, died last Saturday in Manhattan. He was 64.

The cause was system failure after a recent diagnosis of multiple myeloma, his brother, Jody, said. Dr. Colvin died at the New York University Medical Center, where he had been chairman of the department of cardiothoracic surgery until last year.

The procedure promoted by Dr. Colvin, reconstruction rather than replacement of the mitral valve, was first performed in France in the 1980s by Dr. Alain F. Carpentier. Dr. Colvin went to France to learn the technique. With its significant increase in patient survival, the technique has become standard.

Dr. Colvin, who performed nearly 10,000 operations during his 30-year career at the N.Y.U. Medical Center, was also one of the first to use sternal-sparing cardiac surgery, a less invasive technique of repairing a valve by entry between the ribs rather than through the breastbone. Dr. Colvin and his colleague Dr. Aubrey Galloway, who is now chairman of N.Y.U.?s cardiothoracic surgery department, invented the Colvin-Galloway Future Band, one of several types of prosthetic ring used to reshape a damaged mitral valve.

Stephen Benjamin Colvin was born on May 21, 1943, and grew up in Forest Hills, Queens. He graduated from N.Y.U. in 1964 and earned his medical degree at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University.

Dr. Colvin?s first wife, the former Elinor Greneman, died in 2001. In addition to his brother, of Manhattan, he is survived by his wife, the former Helane Brachfeld; a son, Sean, and a daughter, Mikaela; two daughters from his first marriage, Laurel Tanier of Philadelphia and Dr. Heather Kaufman of Manhattan; and three grandchildren.

For many years, working through nonprofit organizations, Dr. Colvin performed heart surgery on children around the world. He was a co-founder, in 2001, of Project Kids Worldwide, which so far has provided heart surgery for more than 50 children from China, Africa, India, South America and the Middle East.

This is indeed terribly sad. Do I read the NY Sun story correctly that Dr. Colvin received the diagnosis of this terrible form of cancer just a week ago, and yet then was involved in doing another heart surgery just 48 hours before his death? What a dedicated physician! No wonder so many are deeply mourning his death.

Latest posts

Back