double valve replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anutherbuddy

My husband has been in the waiting room for AVR (due to aortic aneurysm and bicuspid valve) for almost 10 years. This year they found MV regurg. and say that is the most pressing issue and he needs MVR soon. At first the surgeon wanted to only do the MVR since the AV has been stable with meds for so long but now he wants to replace both (porcine). We are kind of relieved because we have been planning on the AVR for years and I think we would continue to worry about the possibility of an Aortic Valve crisis. Any others had both done at the same time? He's 64 and surgery is scheduled for Sep 12. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Uplifting thoughts? thanks

I had AVR and a CAB in 2009 at the age of 62 and now feeling fine, sometimes do not even think about it for days. I had prevoiusly run several marathons and treated this as another challenge, in recovery you have your good days and not so good yet we all look at it as a fantastic achievement. The new generation tissue valves give you the opportunity to live a normal lifestyle. This site gives us all the feeling of being part of a very special group of people, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

ARV CAB Bovine Tissue Valve 30/5/09 JR Oxford

hi ive had 4 valve surgerys now and my last 2 were with 6 months due to a second hit of endocarditis- my 3 rd opp was big aortic mechanical with a konno procedure which is where they think i picked up endocarditis- my 4th was complicated due to the infection - however i now have 2 mech valves aortic and mitral as well as a konno opp and am doing well- these surgeons are incredable- im 41 and all this started when i was 16, - when i first got endocarditis , so ive had my share- so do no t fear - you will be ok- good luck

I had MVR plus maze procedure 9/2006, then AVR with a tricuspid repair in 2010. I vote for doing both at the same time, if eligible, and if the patient is stable enough to handle all that work. I was not stable enough at the time, plus my regurge was not bad enough, so I did not qualify to do both in 2006.

I did NOT enjoy having my chest cracked a second time, after the AV deteriorated, so if you get the option to do only one surgery, go for it. Those 2 valves are very close together, anyway, and work in concert, so this should be a great improvemeht in health.

Your DH may have a long recovery, as he's probably pretty ill, but he should be fine.

AgilityDog -Thanks for sharing your experience and words of advise. He continues to be asymptomatic (at least he always says he feels fine) so the doctor is willing to do both at the same time. We are relieved (I think) - or at least we will be soon. :)

It is very normal for the Mitral valve to deteriorate, as it had to function harder to compensate for the Aortic valve regurgitation. My Aortic valve leaked for over ten years before my Mitral valve started to *get tired* and started to leak!

Over time, both valves calcified and deteriorated and had both replaced at age 57.

I am feeling (I may say) better than any other time since I was in my late 30s.

Good luck.

Note: once the surgery is over, my advice is that he follow's his surgeon's discharge instructions. I had more restrictions than others, but all were lifted after three months. :)

Just thought I'd mention that if there is any way the Mitral valve can be repaired rather than replaced then this would be a much better option. Mitral valves can quite often be repaired it can give a better long term outcome. I know Robin Williams had an AVR and MV replacement a year or so back and he is doing great from what I gather..

Good luck.

For my last, (3rd) surgery, I had my AV replaced and my mitral repaired. My cardio told me it was a 2 surgeon job, so be ready for the surgery to take many hours. It's about 3-4 hours per valve, I was told. At least this is his first surgery, so no scar tissue to contend with, which really added another 3-4 hours to my surgery. My family was getting updates from the nurse, and so they just waited. I think it is the right decision to get both valves done and the aneurysm taken care of, as well. With the valve already inside the graft, ( I hope they have tissue like this), it is less sewing I would imagine. Hopefully, this type of graft/valve is doable for him. I did well at age 54 with 2 valves, the AV with a replacement graft as well, being done at the same time, so I think he will come through with flying colors. I felt very good after my surgery. All the best!!

Thanks Eva - good to know to expect a few more restrictions post surgery. Question (if you know or remember) - how long was your surgery?

Just thought I'd mention that if there is any way the Mitral valve can be repaired rather than replaced then this would be a much better option. Mitral valves can quite often be repaired it can give a better long term outcome. I know Robin Williams had an AVR and MV replacement a year or so back and he is doing great from what I gather..

Good luck.

It was around six hours. I ONLY remember I was on my way to the OR at 7:30 am and I opened my eyes in ICU around 3:00 p.m., breathing on my own and looking at my family smiling at me!

My surgeon was hoping to repair my mitral, but it was beyond repair in my case.

Best wishes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back