Double Valve Replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mspinder

If you have read the posts you may recall that I had OHS in Nov 2009. This is not about me, although as I am doing better each day, there are other issues I have that I have talked about in other threads.

This is for my wife who will need OHS herself within the next 2 months! After seeing what I went through she is very worried. Add to this she was told that both her aortic and mitral valves need to be replaced. Now she is even more worried. I noticed a couple people here have had both done at the same time. We would like to hear from those and gain some insight on this as opposed to just one valve replaced.

Thanks,

Mark and Linda

I don't have anything to address the subject of double valve replacement but, God Bless you both. What a year for your family.

Wow, sorry to hear that this is happening to you guys.

I had both my mitral and aortic valves replaced 5 months ago. There's not too much difference between a double and a single replacement. The only differences I was told about:

1. The operation takes longer, so family will have to wait a bit longer to hear the good news.
2. It can result in an extra day or two of hospital time post-surgery. I don't recall why this is, however. Maybe because of the longer time on the pump.
3. Slightly higher chance of a major problem since you have twice as many areas involved (valve seats, whatever).

I can add two differences I discovered post-surgery:

1. If you get two mechanical valves, you can sometimes hear a progression of ever-changing rhythms (thump thump, thump THUMP, THUMP thump), etc.

2. You will receive a substantially larger bill from the hospital. :)

I only had one valve replaced but wanted to let you know that I really feel for you both. I do think it would be a good idea for your wife to join the forum directly if she hasn't already done so.

We should get together as I am also facing both mitral repair and/or replacement, as well as AVR and a full Cox Maze IV sometime this spring.

Right now we're waiting for my thyroid levels to come into line after two radiation ablations.

My two mechanical St Judes valves will be 25 years old in April of 2010 if that helps to ease her mind. I was 35 when they were put in.
Kathleen

I had my aortic and mitral valves replaced in September 2008 and I am doing better and better and wish had this surgery many years ago!

I stayed 11 days in the hospital only because my INR did not cooperate!!

Upon discharge, I was instructed not to use the stairs more than once a day!!Other than that, I was fine, like any other heart patient with one valve replacement.

Good luck and do not hesitate to post or ask any questions.

You will be OK

You will be OK

Mark and Linda,

I had both my aortic and mitral valves replaced on October 19. Surgery lasted about 5 hours, or so. Good news is that they are right next to each other. Please read my thread "3 months and 3 days" but Linda, you will do ok.

Neal

Back