dose the diet and no-no's

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Karlynn said:
I could marry Ross and we'd live on brussel sprouts - I LOVE them too!!!!!!
How do you feel about spinich, asparagus, kale, and those things? I love and eat them all, broccoli too.

All of the above - except kale - yuck!

When I was pregnant I craved canned spinach. I would open up a can, dump it in a bowl, squeeze a little lemon juice on top and eat it cold. I still like canned spinach. But love fresh spinach.

When I came home from OHS a super nice neighbour cooked us dinner every night. I guess I was extra lucky that she included asparagus or broccoli 2-3 times a week, because it got me over the fear that I would die if I ate any high vitmain K foods. She agrees on the "everything in moderation" lifestyle.
(yup, my serving of brussels is 4-5, small stomach);)
Spinach in eggs, spinach in potatoes, spinach in soup!
Kale, yuk, it goes to the tortoise.

Karlynn, We may have to arm wrestle over a plate of brussel sprouts for Ross! He's the only man I've heard of who loves them, except for my dad. Your mom must have raised you right Ross!
Okay, you guys have made my Thanksgiving and I'm giving Thanks for finding you and your encouraging me to stay the course and not get discouraged. Finding out I can still eat the things I love has turned my attitude completely around. I'm beginning to feel mighty grateful for having a new valve instead of totally angry about the quality of my life plummeting due to coumadin. Do you think I might even start feeling grateful for the drug? Maybe in days to come. I am going to lose my fear of eating spinach, brussel sprouts, green tea, and all the foods I was told not to consume. I don't have to drink a pot of green tea, but a cup would be nice and I was way bummed out I was told not to do that. There is something delicious for me also about making my own rules so I know that has to do with feeling better already.
I have the wheels in motion to see if our insurance will cover a testing machine for me; cross your fingers! I still have to go through a full on blood test on monday, and perhaps some more before it's resolved, but it feels so good to have a plan and feel hope. I couldn't have gotten to this place without you guys!!
Know there is a Colorado girl sitting down to Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow giving big thanks for all your caring advice and help. I am brimming over with gratitude!

Have a wonderful holiday!

With a heartfelt thanks to each of you!

I'm glad you've turned the corner.

Although I will say - don't pig out on the brussel sprouts too much until you get your INR back in range. Then eat what you love and have your dose adjustest accordingly.

One other thing to watch out for is them trying to keep you to a certain dose. Sometimes you may hear "You're on too much Coumadin, we'd like to see you on less." That's not a true statement - the dose that keeps you in range is never "too much" and will not affect you adversely at all.

Heartfelt,

I hope your Thanksgiving is wonderful and you find that coumadin is more of a friend and certainly not an enemy. You will reach a point where you don't think about it much other than a home test (once you get a monitor) now and then.

Like Karlynn said, please don't eat 15 servings of greens tomorrow ;) :D but please enjoy some of what you thought had to be denied.

Okra is about the only thing I just cannot handle. I've tried everyway and it's just not my thing.

interesting informed consent

interesting informed consent

Most of you are told not to eat foods high in vitamin K. The following link is to one of many Med Mal insurance companies. They provide a sample Informed Consent. Read what the consent say's about Vk and coumadin. Some do get it right.
http://npmic.intellectu.com/issues/2005/issue01/pdf/NPMIC_newsletter_Mar05.pdf

It would be interesting to see how many of you have actually been given a proper written Informed Consent when starting anticoagulation.

warrenr said:
Most of you are told not to eat foods high in vitamin K. The following link is to one of many Med Mal insurance companies. They provide a sample Informed Consent. Read what the consent say's about Vk and coumadin. Some do get it right.
http://npmic.intellectu.com/issues/2005/issue01/pdf/NPMIC_newsletter_Mar05.pdf

It would be interesting to see how many of you have actually been given a proper written Informed Consent when starting anticoagulation.
Happy to see this out there in the world. I also noticed that no where does it call coumadin a "blood thinner".

Would love to see this sent out to every doctor prescribing coumadin. I have never received anything like this in 27 years. Everything I have learned about coumadin was via experience or personal research.

geebee said:
Happy to see this out there in the world. I also noticed that no where does it call coumadin a "blood thinner".

Would love to see this sent out to every doctor prescribing coumadin. I have never received anything like this in 27 years. Everything I have learned about coumadin was via experience or personal research.

i WONDER IF IT WOULD SCARE NEW PEOPLE OFF TO (ooops sorry) to have to have informed consent or a contract to take coumadin, it might make it seem scarier than it is.. I know I had to sign contracts with my pain doctor and I know that was because of addicts, but don't know how I would feel about having to sign/get something like this for a regular medication.
This is obviously a CYA for doctors in case of problems, so they could probably get the same info out in a different way tho. Especially since just the fact it could make it seem scarier than it has to be if doctors have to worry about CYA.

After I attended my Coumadin Class, each of us had to sign a very similar agreement form so that we did say at least in theory understand that as patients of the clinic we had these responsibilites also. If we were not going to be using the Alaska Heart clinic we also had to fill a form out of who would be managing our coumadin. I go to Providence Family Medical Center and they do my testing. The person in charge is a great gal who calls and says "oh Tiffin youre a weeeeeek overdue in here for your INR test.

Guess our coumadin providers are ahead of others!

Karlynn said:
I could marry Ross and we'd live on brussel sprouts - I LOVE them too!!!!!!

Karlynn:

I love freshly steamed brussel sprouts!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have been trying to find a recipe for brussel sprout leaves sauteed w/ butter & a little brown sugar and chopped cranberries. It was in a book I loaned out -- and the borrower moved w/out returning the book...... :mad:
Have been hitting used-book stores for a replacement.
If I find it, I'll post it here -- for those of us on rat poison who DO like brussel sprouts.

Karlynn said:
I don't give any consideration to what I eat. I eat what I want. If I want a big salad, I eat it. It's been years since I stopped to think "Gee, wonder what this will do to my INR?" Because Gina is right - most of what we eat has little effect.

Karlyn - I suspect with your attitude that you will live a very long and happy life!
Thank you for sharing your wit and wisdom on this topic. You deserve major props for your post on this subject.

Moderation and a good attitude are the key I suspect. Denying yourself won't get you anywhere but into anger and despair. Yeah, maybe coumadin if it does anything forces us to use a little bit of reason. Nobody should suddenly up and decide a couple gallons of green tea is a great idea and start drinking that amount consistently. Maybe if you're on coumadin then its a worse idea to do that than for everyone else but geez, c'mon.

Live and enjoy your second chance at life and dose the life you lead.

Oh, and by the way, even if you get a repair you can still end up on coumadin for life, I did thanks to good ole a-fib.....

:)
Peace,
Ruth

Latest posts

Back