Done with surgery :)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bw00

Hi everyone,
I am finally home after my ross procedure on april 24th! It al took a bit longer due to some complications. Once they opened me up they decided to first try a valve repair. They closed me up but decided the repair wouldn't last. So they did a Ross procedure anyway. Because of the long surgery time I developed an infection of the pericardium, last monday they opened the scar up partially and took away the fluid. I was in the ICU for 5 days, and hope to never be there again, not my best memories. Basically I had 3 surgery's in a short amount of time which is why I was not allowed to go home yet. The one problem left is that my left ventricle is not working properly yet, also due to the long operation time. Right now I am getting some extra medication for that, and the doctors hope that since I am still young it will be temporarily. I am so happy to be home and to finally work on my recovery. My parents are around all the time which is great, I will be staying at my parents' house for the next few months. I need a walker to help me walk which is of great entertainment among my friends. An eighteen-year-old with a walker is not something you see often haha! I am happy that jokes are being made again, and that I am out of the hospital. I do have to admit that I did not expect the experience to be this bad, it is good that I did not know before the surgery or I would have been a lot more stressed out. And again, the forum has been of great help! Sorry for any spelling mistakes, English is not my native language and I hope you all have a good day! :)

X Berit

Hi Berit,

Good to hear from you again. I can imagine that you had a hard time in the hospital after 3 sugeries and an infection.
The good thing is that now you are on the other side, the recovery can start.
Also good to read that you already can have some laughs about it. Laughing is your best medicine!
I hope your recovery goes well and that these hard weeks are history and that you will feel better day by day.

regards,
Frank (still in the waiting room...)

Phew - I'm glad you are out of hospital, but what a ride you had :( Good that you are with your parents as you need to be around supportive people now. Take care of yourself !

Wow, Berit, you've been through a lot in such a short time. I'm glad you are home now and able to laugh again. I hope you won't have any new challenges along your road to recovery!

Berit, your experience may set some kind of record. I am so happy to hear that it now seems to be behind you. After most of us get home, it is very normal to feel quite weak but it is so important to move around and do your breathing exercises. A walker is just a tool no matter what one's age. You use it when you need it then you set it aside. I'm glad you can laugh at the image but it shouldn't take long before you are firmly back on your own legs. Soon you will be walking outside and spring is a great time to be in recovery. I hope to hear that you have no more surprises and are mending quickly. Let us know how you are doing, Berit.

Larry

Latest posts

Back