Donating Blood

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

hhardt

I have just recovered from my 2 shoulder surgeries and now 17 months past my AVR. My question concerns the wisdom of my giving blood now that I'm feeling better and even playing golf again. Would like comments and survey showing how many of us are giving again, especially now that we see how important the blood availability was to us. I got 5 units at my AVR. Should we return the favor???

Hi Hugo,
While I truly salute your desire to donate blood (virtually ALL of my blood came from donors during my 14 hour surgery) you really need to check with your doctor first. I know many people on pacemakers and/or with valve replacements are prohibited from being donors (risk to your health, drugs in your blood, etc.).

A nice alternative is to see if your local blood bank(s) needs occassional part-time volunteers.

Best,
--John

Hello Hugo,

You did not say if you have a mechanical or other valve, but I have a mechanical valve and the Red Cross no longer wants my blood because I am on Coumadin.

Christina
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
TMC, Tucson, AZ.
Dr. Gulshan Sethi
Mechanical

Latest posts

Back