Does having an active lifestyle increase chance of developing aneurysm?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

freejack

I've been reading the posts on this forum and various other sites and have noticed that most people with aortic aneurysms are almost always very active or athletic.

Based on what we know, a fast heart rate and high blood pressure increase the chances of developing an aneurysm. If one is very active and exercises often, wouldn't that subject the aorta/valves to higher levels of stress during the activity. Would the benefits of lower blood pressure due to being fit offset the stresses put on the heart during exertion through exercise?

This has been on my mind for a few days and I'm wondering whether I should establish a moderate exercise routine (running a few miles a day) or just do some speed walking. My blood pressure is 120/70 and I have a resting heart rate of 55-60bpm. Does anyone have any insights into this?

Thanks!

I really don't think so. There may be a connection because of a bad valve regurgitating severly and stressing the aorta, which would be more pronounced during periods of heavy excercise, but other then that, nah. Oh wait, if your a Marfan syndrome patient, then it may very well pose a problem.

Hi Ross. It just seems like there's a highly disproportionate number of very active people (especially on this forum) with aneurysms. As a matter of fact, I don't recall reading anything from even one person with an aneurysm that had previously led a sedentary lifestyle.

I definitely agree that regurgitation plays a huge part in damaging the aorta but like you said, the harder you push your heart, the greater the chance of injury to the tissue.

At this point I'm just not sure if all the benefits of exercise outweigh the risk of developing an aneurysm. Would a healthy diet and some light exercise be optimal for prevention?

I am overweight, underfit and a smoker, and had an aneurysm - surgeon said it was due to the pressure of the blood spurting through the itsy bitsy teensy weensy hole left in my aortic valve, seems it thinned the walls of the aorta itself. I don't have any details on its size or anything. I was told not to over-exert, or lift anything over 5 pounds. If I had to grunt, stress my body or hold my breath to do it, I shouldn't be doing it!

I think I read that someplace.That instead of the blood shooting straight up the aorta with a calcified bicuspid valve the blood shoots more at an angle and into the wall of the aorta.That's where my aneurysm is just below the valve so I guess that makes sense.I don't think it has anything to do with an active lifestyle.I've played sports all my life.You name it and I've played it Baseball,Basketball,Football,Volleyball and Lacrosse.Just bad luck being born with the valve.

Actually, it kind of makes sense as more beats would mean more jets of blood hitting the aorta. However, most people who are very athletic have slower resting heartrates, so a slow resting heartrate 23 hours a day would override the fast heartrate for the hour or so of exercise.

"Does having an active lifestyle increase chance of developing aneurysm? I do not think so! I am not an expert but I think aneurysm is caused by a fault in the heart's functioning!

It is the same as in the case of Mitral or/and Aortic calcification. Calcium precipitates only on faulty aortic/mitral valves, but not on healthy ones! Unless someone may correct my info.

At this point I'm just not sure if all the benefits of exercise outweigh the risk of developing an aneurysm. Would a healthy diet and some light exercise be optimal for prevention?

I'm more inclined to think that excercise would be much more beneficial then diet or light excercise, unless you have a known weakened spot in your aorta.

Run this one past your Cardiologist for his opinion.

The literature on BAV disease seems to indicate that aneurysms can and do occur independently of valve stenosis/regurgitation...e.g., even after AVR. BAV disease is thought to be a connective tissue disease (like Marfans.) I don't remember reading that more intense forms of exercise have been shown to exacerbate the formation of aneurysms. Recommendations for exercise seem to be based on the individual patient's situation. In my case, I was just told not to lift more than 1/2 of my lean body weight, and that I can do any exercise that does not make me grunt or cause extreme fatigue. This comes from a top surgeon at a major university heart center (Bavaria/HUP).

Blood pressure control is the therapy for aneurysms.

Best wishes,

Jim

On the contrary--activity may kill

On the contrary--activity may kill

Hi!

I have just joined but came from a background where, after my aneurysm was discovered and I was (early on) diagnosed with Marfan Syndrome and later was re-diagnosed as having a Marfan-like condition. I immediately went on betablockers and had to give up my vigorous recreational contra dancing. Through the Marfan Foundation I met lots of people who discovered they had an aneurysm because their vigorously active lifestyle led to dissection and emergency surgery.

Another thing that may cause aneurysms is weight lifting. Of course, now that I have had aortic root replacement, I have several reasons for not lifting or doing exercises that mean lifting or even pushing up my body.

I definitely have loose connective tissue so am prone to a number of problems including aneurysms. I only learned my codition could be called BAV in 2002. Dr. Liang at Stanford, who for the first time actually found my bicuspid valve via echocardiogram, said that even though my valve was passable at that time, it had, in his opinion, caused my aneurysm.

Best wishes to us all!
Maryka

I met lots of people who discovered they had an aneurysm because their vigorously active lifestyle led to dissection and emergency surgery.

Let's not jumble this up too much. The original question was whether strenuous exercise can increase the chances of aneurysms in people with BAV disease, which does not seem to be the case. Aneurysms develop because of weakened tissue in the walls of vessels due to genetic factors.

However, once an aneurysm is present, then certain activities, like competative sports and weight lifting, should be avoided because of the risk of rupture or dissection, while other forms of exercise, like walking, are actually beneficial.

Jim

Just got back from the doctor and asked him the same question I posted here. To my surprise he actually said that strenuous exercise can hasten the development of an aneurysm although articles found online like the one Jim posted say otherwise. Perhaps he's saying that just to be safe but I don't think I'll be working out too hard from now on.

Very interesting thread. I have a 4.5 ascending aortic aneurysm and walk for an hour - or even two - every day at a moderate pace, mainly to keep my weight in check. I'm sure hoping that this hasn't caused "my little buddy" :) to worsen. My cardio asked if I exercise and didn't seem concerned when I told her so I can't imagine I've done any damage. It's not like I'm doing heavy-duty aerobics or anything.

I have a CT scan next month so I guess we'll see if there's been a change.

Cheers,
Michelle

I had one! But not now! I am the most laid back person around. It was just part of my bad aortic valve. I had the bentall procedure done. My gp had put me on blood pressure meds before I found out about my problem, my surgeon said it most likely saved my life! I am indeed grateful!

I have a CD of and echo I had before my OHS clearly showing blood flowing out of my dodgy BAV and straight into the side wall of my ascending aorta exactly at the place where my aneurysm was...Its definitley what attributed to the developement of my annie...the connective tissue disease BAV is the other contributing factor.
I too had been put on BP meds about 5 years before my annie and BAV were found...I am very thankful for that.
Oh yeah...and the only activity I regularly do is hanging out the washing and a spot of vacuuming...When I was a teen I had all the excuses in the world to get out of doing sport!
I think having high or labile BP a BAV and not being on meds for your BP increases the chances of an annie developing.
I am like terodac...the most laid back person you are likely to meet and even moreso after OHS...got that from my dad as well as his BAV!

Other than Marfans, I'm not aware of anything definitely linking BAV with aneurysm development. Any decision to restrict exercise should be taken in consultation with your doctor. Just because you have BAV it isn't an excuse to be a couch potato. ;)
In my case I've been very active my entire life, including lots of weight lifting. I had a severely calcified bicuspid valve and left ventricular hypertrophy, but no sign of any aneurysms.
Both my resting HR and BP dropped significantly in the first couple of years after my AVR, which also coincided with starting to do a lot more aerobic exercise. Resting HR is 44 BPM and my BP is 120/70.
My mitral valve is a little leaky, but of no concern at this point. My cardiologist has reduced my echo schedule from every year to every other year.
Although my cardiologist had me restrict my weightlifting after my AVR, he is now actually suggesting that I add it back into my workout regimen (moderate weight, no lifting to failure).
Bottom line in my case is that exercise helped my recovery and has enhanced my health and lifestyle post-op.
I'm training for my first half marathon in two weeks. I'm addicted to endorphins, but at my age (55) I'm much more concerned about my muscles and joints wearing out rather than my St Jude-equipped heart and plumbing.
Mark

Just a note, I had BAV, calification ,and ran a half amrathon in 2:04, 4 months before surgery and do not have an aneurysm. Realize I may be a minority, but it helps suggest one thing does not have to lead to the other, even with strenuous exercize.

My cardio who is well known says to keep up the cardio even with a 5cm aneurysm. Just no lifting more than 50 pounds. May be good advice, but I'm doing nothing more than walking ...

Latest posts

Back