Doc capitulates on self dosing without a fight!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameron

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Well,
I saw my GP today and I shared the info that I had matched the lab a couple of times with my home tester:). I also fessed up that I had tweaked my warfarin dose myself when I was not in agreement with what they told me to do:eek:. Basically my Doc said "You are a smart guy. Now that you have the INR machine you can call in your INR for dosing instructions or just go ahead and adjust your dose to keep in range and let me know what you are doing." I think since I have been pretty in her face about home testing etc. she is happy to get me out of the way:eek:!!
So now I embark on the wonderful world of self testing AND self dosing:D. I seem to be stabilising for the moment around 8 or 9mg per day - I was 2.2 on Tuesday and 2.4 today based on 9mg/day - probably I will end up on a 9/8/9/8/9/8/9 routine. I plan to test again Tuesday and then go to weekly then bi-weekly maybe, although I kind of like the idea of keeping a weekly eye on the INR - it is only CAD$1.12 a day for the test strip and the greater peace of mind:p!
Cameron

Congratulations on winning the fight Cameron! You do sound like you know what you are doing & being able to check your INR weekly or however you choose, will give you a sense of independence & well-being!

Stay well! :)

Well,
I saw my GP today and I shared the info that I had matched the lab a couple of times with my home tester:). I also fessed up that I had tweaked my warfarin dose myself when I was not in agreement with what they told me to do:eek:. Basically my Doc said "You are a smart guy. Now that you have the INR machine you can call in your INR for dosing instructions or just go ahead and adjust your dose to keep in range and let me know what you are doing." I think since I have been pretty in her face about home testing etc. she is happy to get me out of the way:eek:!!
So now I embark on the wonderful world of self testing AND self dosing
Cameron

Hey Cameron your statement has almost given the courage again to ask my GP to sign that little piece a paper called a prescription.
Since my INR is way below my range for some reason or another, my doc is now taken off to Hawaii for a week, but told me she has left a note on my file that "this patient knows how to self medicate and how to adjust her INR" (thanks for vr.com ;)). I too have been in her face a few times in regards of a home monitor with no luck. But after reading your findings and what she told me - you have given me new hope that it may be possible get a home monitor.
Thanks for the encouragement

Not only are the mountains shining, there's light on the far side too.

Well done Cameron.

I have found that being a nag has helped people let do things on my own!!! ;) :D

When you think about it - if diabetics can adjust their own insulin dosing DAILY - why can't we do it when needed (which is certainly not daily)? A mess up in an insulin dose can be much more catastrophic than a mess up in a warfarin dose.

Latest posts

Back