Do you take fish oil or flaxseed oil?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunonwaves

My fiance was taking both fish oil and flaxseed oil daily for heart / general health before surgery, and now he is on coumudin, we have had to cut back on some of his supplements, however he would like to start taking the fish and flaxseed oils, maybe not in the high doses he was taking before off course.
I would love to know if anyone else is taking either oil and if they noticed a change with their INR as its said that they can increase it.
We dont really mind if it increases his INR a little as im guessing that in the long term it may just mean that he lowers his coumudin dosage.
Thanks in advice! :)

The basic message is to 'dose the diet'. It's been said that fish oils (and maybe flaxseed oil) will have effect on INR. The answer is not to reduce the dose of these oils -- but to regulate the dose of coumadin/warfarin to accommodate to the effects of the oils. If your boyfriend is regularly taking the same dose of these oils, daily, then it should be possible to adjust warfarin dosage to accommodate for whatever changes these oils may be causing. If your boyfriend stops one or the other, it's important to monitor the INR and adjust the dosage of warfarin to accommodate for the disappearance of effects from these oils.

Regular testing - especially when he gets back to his full dosage of thes oills - is important, and another reason why you should probably have a meter and strips.

I agree with Protimenow. I have been taking fish oil since the time of my surgery, and so long as you keep it consistent the coumadin/warfarin dose will take it into account. Just be sure to let the doc/INR clinic know if you start or stop the doses, and they will monitor it accordingly.

I take a relatively high dose of Omega 3 (fish oil). I haven't notice any change in my INR. I take many supplements and haven't noticed any changes in my INR.

If the supplements he has been taking seem to help, I would continue taking them and see what the effect would be--most likely no effect on the INR.

I take 900 mg's of good quality fish oil daily. I am on warfarin. Like others have said, being consistent with what ever you are taking equals a stable INR.

Back