Dizziness

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FC in Texas

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before. Today is 1 week plus 1 day from AVR. I am at home and recovery seems to be going really good. I am off pain meds (still taking ibuprofin to reduce inflammation), breathing exercises all good and getting some sleep. I am also out walking. . not much . . just a couple of 6-7 minutes walks a day.

My problem is that I have had a couple of dizzy spells. The latest just while sitting at the table. I get dizzy and feel like I might pass out, but haven't. It goes away after about 10 minutes and BP seems in OK range (110/70). I am taking 50mg of Metoprolol right now. Is this normal or something I should expect?

50mg is what I've been taking ever since AVR, its been almost 4 months now. My family doctor says he figures its something I would take forever. However, it seems quite a few or maybe even most don't take it at all. I plan on asking cardiologist about it next time. I don't think I've ever had blood pressure problems.

However my doctor said I'm better off at 120/60 then 120/80. Seems reasonable maybe to me.

Hun, you are a WEEK out of butt-kicking major surgery. Feeling like carp, including dizziness, comes with the territory.
That said, when in doubt, check it out. Call your doctor.

Thanks Laurie. Of course you are right. I am probably too anxious to see if my old SOB symptoms are gone. One day at a time is the way to go.

I don't want to concern you, but I had another thought (and everyone's experiences are different post-op). I just spent time with a friend who had AVR. She was experiencing bouts of dizziness a week after surgery and it was determined that it was due to atrial fibrillation. As Laura said, when in doubt check it out. However, there are many reasons such as mentioned above for this. I had dizziness post-op but it was because I was severely anemic.
Good luck and hope this passes.

Are you still on a diuretic? I was blaming my Metoporal for dizziness, but when we withdrew the diuretic/potassium combo, I felt a million times better. I'm about 10 days post surgery, still a little light headed at times. I also get some anxiety related dizziness, but nothing like I had with the diuretic.

When is your follow-up visit with your cardiologist scheduled? It should be soon. S/He'll determine if it is anything significant. And don't expect the SOB to gone immediately. Your heart has some repair and remodeling to do first.

Thanks for the replies. Actually, yesterday was the lat day for me to be taking the lasix/potassium combo, so maybe that will help. Follow up is two weeks out. I haven't had another "really dizzy" episode since yesterday. See how it goes today.

I'm 4 weeks out of AVR and am also taking Metoporal. I still have bouts of dizziness, mainly when I get out of a chair. I'm seeing the surgeon this Tues for my followup and this is definitely one of the things I'm going to ask him about. I'll report back.

I too am on the same medicine, I'm 2 weeks out, I get more light headed and nautious than dizzy, like above, I'm only 2 weeks out of a serious operation. My body has not been well to me, but everything seems to be good according to my family doctor. I see my cardiologists for tests on Monday and hopefully is doing what it's suppose to be doing. I've let alot of anxiety rule my post surgery so far, I'm tryi g to just have a positive attitude and pray it'll pass in time. I got tired going up the stairs the other day and was like "what is going on, oh yeah..I had open heart surgery 2 weeks ago" just stay cool, but cautious. Hopefully everything turns out ok.

Latest posts

Back