Discuss Closure with your Surgeon.....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkm7

This is something that never occured to me prior to my first surgery but I think it worth mentioning.

For those awaiting surgery, either having already met with your surgeon or not, did you discuss with him/her what method they would use to close your incision? If you've had your meeting and did not discuss it, you can always call their office to tell them your concern prior to your surgery.

It never occured to me that in this day and age some people were still getting 'zipper closure' on full sternum open incisions. My surgeon did whatever the usual routine for internal closure but on the skin, he used glue and steri-strips. My full sternal incision was opened twice in four years and I can hardly see most of the scar now it has faded so much.

First I read of someone having their incision closed with staples, I near lost my breakfast. Just the mental image of them removing those things made me quiver. And then it dawned on me, that is why they have a 'zipper' on their chest. All those staples leave a scar.

Just a suggestion, but if you want to be sure of how you will be closed, discuss it with your surgeon. Was I the only one who didn't know enough to ask? Of course, my first OHS was emergent so I didn't know much of anything not to mention how medicated I was during whatever discussion I had pre surgery.

Thankfully, my surgeon did it the way he did and seeing he was the same surgeon for my second OHS, I knew it would be the same.

I'm always shocked when I read someone being closed with staples as well. My first surgery 30+ years ago was closed from the inside out with only steri-strips on the outside. When I met with my surgeon for my last surgery, I didn't have to ask, he told me I would be closed from the inside out and that contrary to what others might tell me, he would not be using any glue. I didn't even have any steri-strips. My scar looks great and is also barely visible.

Great suggestion for newbies planning their surgeries.

Kim

During those weeks before surgery, it was hard to stay focused for very long. It never occurred to me to ask about closing the incision. As it turned out, my surgeon also closed the incision without using sutures or staples. It healed neatly and never leaked or showed any sign of infection. It seems to be a much better way to go. Three weeks after the AVR, the clear strip disintegrated in the shower with no fuss at all. This may also have helped the scar form smoothly. Everyone should add this to their checklist.

Larry

I didn't know anything about my heart either and just listened to what the surgeon told me prior to surgery and it was 'you need surgery'. I got bunches of staples, plus from right ankle on up into my groin (four incisions in the leg to harvest the saphenous vein for bypass). the removal of the staples was not bad. I went to my local gp and his nurse removed them; beneath the staples were stitches, one of which got infected at the ankle. I do have scars, but they are barely noticeble.

I guess this may be reason #73 why I asked to have a thoracotomy, if possible, instead of sternotomy. I'm sure staples were pretty much the only way initially to close the incision, but it does seem awfully antiquated now.

Surgical material between sternum and heart

Surgical material between sternum and heart

My sternum was wired and my skin was glued and the incision was very tidy in the beginning, but my genetic predisposition apparently causes scars to tend to get thick. Oh well.

But on a related point, in anticipation of a future surgery my surgeon placed some type of surgical material between my sternum and heart to hopefully reduce the problematic scarring issues that can be found upon reopening. I don't know how commonly this material is used but it is another thing a patient can discuss with their surgeon.

Back