Dirty Spokes Race: 6 hour solo - the report

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mntbiker

Saturday: Race day.
The forecast was for 70% chance of showers and thunderstorms. But I played my ace and it worked, on Friday I put fertilizer on my lawn, that always guarantees two weeks of dry weather, this was no exception.

I got to the race venue at about 7:30AM, ran into the guys I would be sharing space with for the day in the parking lot. Lugged all my gear and supplies to the tent, got registered and stood around chatting for a couple of hours.

We lined up for the mass start, we would do a parade lap, fortunately it didn’t start with a steep uphill.

It was a little dusty.

289775759_cJydP-M.jpg

I started at mid pack and stayed there for the first about 5 miles. It was rather congested and we had to stop a few times while traffic cleared on the trail ahead, finally it broke up and I was able to settle into a comfortable pace. I finished my first lap in 1:19 including parade lap, I had expected 1:40 for the first lap.

The second lap went smoothly and for much of the lap I felt like I was by myself out there. I started to feel some slight cramping near the end of the second lap which I did in 1:34, I loaded up on electrolytes in both pill and liquid form and downed a few GU packets.

The third lap I was still dealing with cramps, not bad though, I continued to down the electrolytes, I had planned on 3 endurolytes per hour and 28ou of ultima, I upped the endurolytes to 9 per hour and by the end of the third lap I was feeling better.

The time had come: the end of the third lap. The question at this point was should I go out for one more lap or just sit back and relax. I of course opted to do one more lap.

I had done the third lap in 1:45 and was expecting it to take about 10 minutes longer for the fourth. I was surprised when I rolled in and found out I had done it in 1:41.

I finished the race in great shape, I had done really well with my hydration also, I only dropped one pound over the course of the race. I finished in 23 for my division and 73 out of 135 teams and solo riders for the six hour event. I know, I only beat 62 other people but since some of those were also teams I think it was a decent showing. 49.5 miles with ~5,400 ft of elevation gain in 6 hours 45 minutes including breaks.

289778751_YmbUm-M.jpg

Next race is an adventure race in June.

Mark?

Mark?

Great race, great pictures!:)

But it doesn't sound like you!:eek: Well, maybe when I read that you did another lap rather than taking it easy!;)

But other than that, it sounds as though you actually used MODERATION and utilized STRATEGY throughout!;)

You managed your hydration expertly and did not lose consciousness along the way! Next, I suppose you will tell us you kept your heartrate below 100% of max!:confused: ;) :p

Ok, I'm through with my ribbing! You did a great job and you are definitely ready to tackle the next race in June. Thanks for sharing the report!:)

Well done! Enjoyed reading about it.

Long ago (it seems like another lifetime, now that I am falling apart in multiple ways), I did a triathlon -- 50 miles on the bike, 1 mile in the pool, 10 mile run. The bike portion was by far the most enjoyable part.

Do let us know of your further adventures.

Very nice to read and the pictures were fun. Congrats on an excellent job well done :) !

mark

mark

That looks like an adventure, that's great you were able to do the race and it looks like more to come. I'm 14 weeks post-op now and thinking I can get back on my bike again. I'm not a racer but love a nice bike ride. Keep up the good work. Debbie :)

Wow! Sounds like you had a great time. :) The pictures are great!

Thanks everyone, the race was a lot of fun.

Mary, believe it or not I didn't max my HR, well at least for too long. ;)

And yes Ross, some rain to knock down the dust would have been nice, it did rain a bit during the second and third lap but just short heavy showers.

Debbie, hmm 14 weeks out and you haven't started riding yet? ;) My wife made me wait 3 months before I could hit the trails again so from 3 weeks on I was confined to the trainer. :eek:

What I have found most interesting through this little adventure of valve replacement has been the recovery. I remember certain members like Laura that would say it would take a year to recover. Now that I have reached 23 months I believe this qualifies me as an expert and I can voice my opinion. :D

The first year of the recovery was really about sudden leaps in progress with a serious lack of progress between, and yes it did get very frustrating at times. My HR for example had always been in the 40's at rest, it seemed to stay in the upper 50's and wasn't getting any better. I spoke with the cardio about it and he had no input, he just told me "I have no other patients that do what you do, I have no idea what to tell you". I appreciated the honesty but it was still frustrating. It is now back in the 40's and more importantly it takes more to get my HR up then it did presurgery. I can drive my car home from work with a HR in the 40's.

The second year of the recovery has been more of a steady progress. Tests still show the heart "remodeling", stamina and HR recovery rates continue to improve. Even now at 23 months I am seeing progress that can not be accounted for by just training. My running post surgery was a real struggle. No matter how much I tried I didn't make any progress. I stopped for quite a while and started again in December, I was amazed at how quickly and easily I could run. I will not set any records but I can now run a very hilly 3.5 mile trail in 34 minutes.

So for anyone that is facing surgery or has just had it don't get frustrated with the progress you make, it does take a long time. Of course I can now go further faster then I had even five years prior to surgery so the downhill progression affects us for longer then we might realize.

Latest posts

Back