Difference in Size of 'Tissue Valve'

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haggis basher

I am Scottish, but living in Sydney Australia
Hi All.
Going through dozens of messages on forums, I have noticed that the size of heart valve replacements
varies from about 21mm - 27mm. I had my Aortic valve replaced by Edwards Tissue on the 8/12/11
its size 23mm!
I have ran dozens of half marathons, and hundreds of races all over the world. It is now 5.2months
since operation, and I can only run about 600m without walking. I was wondering if this is because perhaps my old valve was much larger than this one, and now the 'blood' can't flow as quick!
Any ideas. (my age - 71)
See Ya
Brian

I doubt it! At 5 months, you are far from fully recovered...please join some of us over at cardiacathletes.com....keep up the training!

Brian, a new valve allows much more blood flow than a stenotic valve so it seems unlikely it is an issue of valve size. Since the size of the valve is determined by measuring your natural oriface, it is probably very close to The original before the calcification. We recover by and large in a few months but it takes longer for our bodies to recover completely. Still we cannot help but be anxious to get back to our old normal.

Larry

Brian,

If you are able to run like that, 5 months post surgery..you are well ahead of the curve! I would suspect you would be able to match, if not exceed where you were prior to surgery.

Keep moving forward!

Hey Brian,
I'm not going to be winning any races any time soon, but I wanted to let you know that at five months, I wasn't able to run at all yet. I did a walk/run combo starting at about 6 months. I actually began running (as per my rehab instructions) at about 7 or 8 months, though I had been cycling fairly vigorously earlier (it's easier to rest while cycling fast than while running fast). My first three mile time was a hard fought 38 min.! The other day 2 1/2 years+ post surgery, I did a new post surgical PB of 23 something. The process is not fast, but you'll get there.

You may find it interesting that 1.5 years post surgery, my VO2max was 97% of my age predicted max (pretty good), yet at 2.5 years, it was 114% of age predicted max! The remodeling and the recovery can go on for quite some time.

Good luck, and hang in.

Paul

Thanks everyone for your comments. I belong to CardiacAthletes.org as well, and most of the runners
are running 2-3 miles after approx 6months.
Must admit I am having bad arrhythmia heart- beats, seeing cardiologist in 9days!
I am not complaining, only stating a fact.
Take care all.

Back