Did You Ever Feel Like You Weren't Going to Make it to Surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
My surgery is a little more than 3 days away, and I wonder how I've made it this far, the support I receive from this forum, my family, my church of course are the reasons I'm still sane. I basically live minute by minute sometimes and other times its not as bad. For the past several months I have not felt great but there were days where I didn't feel bad either. Mind you I've been taken off of work and driving a month ago and I have not done anything remotely exerting for over a month except going up and down the stairs at my house to go to bed. Even taking a shower wipes me out. :mad2:

In the past week I have been taking Xanax off and on to help to deal with the symptoms I'm feeling. Though the Xanax doesn't make the symptoms disappear it helps me from stirring myself into a panic over them and running to the ER.

I've been experiencing SOB for a couple of years now but it has been very subtle, almost felt like a sigh. In the past 2 months the SOB has gotten bad where I have to take a deep breath between sentences most the time. I feel it sitting down or walking, it really never goes away. I'm not huffing and puffing but I just feeling like I'm not getting enough air and have to take a deep breath. It feels like I can never get a satisfying breath.

Palpitations, I've been feeling my whole life and thought everybody gets those. Sometimes my heart beats so hard while I'm lying down I can feel it in my back or it feels as if it moves my whole body. My blood pressure I test everyday and is almost always in range, my heart rate is usually between 60 and 85.

Chest pains have been off and on for the past 2 years but recently have been mild, months ago it seemed as if SOB and chest pain would play musical chairs, one week I would experience chest pain most the day with very little to no SOB and then the next week it would switch.

Currently I've been dealing with overall weakness, dizziness, and SOB along with a dose of nausea on and off through out the day. I also have been getting some mild headaches which I'm not used to, in the past I would never get headaches, even when I was sick. I'll start to dry heave once in awhile because of the nausea feeling, then it goes away. I've been having a tough time sleeping the past few days. Its just miserable. :frown2:

My medical team knows how I feel but are sticking to the July 27th date for surgery, the surgeon is just really busy and they couldn't do it any sooner. The surgeon told me about a week ago that if it gets really bad just come to the ER of course.

I'm pretty conscious of edema and I don't think I have any of that around my joints/ankles or mid section, though I do have some loose skin around my mid section from dropping a bunch of weight.

Usually the brunt of the symptom attacks calm down after a 3-5 hours and then it becomes tolerable but other times it feels like "this is it" :eek2:

Sorry for the novel guys, I just wanted to ask if anyone felt like this before surgery. I took 1 and a 1/2 Xanax .25mg (lowest dose) about an hour ago and feel more in control now, but still not great. Thanks for listening. :frown2:

Yes, I felt like that. My surgeon wanted to do my replacement the week after he saw me, but I needed to finish up the school year. I was teaching 5th grade at the time. Several times I felt like I had made a foolish decision, but I made it ok to the operating table. It's pretty unusual for anyone not to, at least from what I've read on the forum. I hope you feel better by the time you read this.:smile2:

Julian, I had all the same symtoms you describe but was in CHF...... DUDE I did not think I would get through the Cath let alone wait three days for surgery and now four years post I amaze my self and family with the very fact of living let alone looking after my grand daughters Madison (6) and Paige (3) and DUDE that is a challenge but OH SO WORTH LIVING FOR !!!!

By the way Dude doing a search of Dude you and Bruce (bdryer) were the kings of the Dudes on board

Last edited:
Greg

I'm a high country western boy. My city hosts the Calgary Stampede. We have a way of turning every one into dudes. Like did you not see Prince William and Kate in their cowboy/girl get ups? Now that's very dude like!

Julian, lose the fear and look forward to an amazing journey into the world of open heart surgery. The professionals in this field are perhaps the top in any academic circle. They are highly trained and well rehersed, put your trust in them and know that you will wake as a new you. Your going to have a few weeks of slogging to go through, but they pass quickly.

Greg

As usual you had me in tears with your well selected flicks and pics.

Thx Dude
Dude

I have no experience of such bad symptoms, I'm afraid, and I'm so sorry to hear about how you feel right now, that really sucks.

What I really want to say, after reading the description of your symptoms, is ... I bet that after you've had your surgery you will be absolutely amazed at how much better you feel! I think in this game you have to feel pretty awful to really appreciate the improvement afterwards, I've read of some people noticing a real difference the moment they wake up from surgery! So hang in there, friend! In a couple of days you will be getting fixed up and starting a new life!

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery - hope all goes smoothly and successfully for you! :thumbup:

Julian:

Been there, done that. I was in CHF, I had trouble talking without having to take a gulp of air, I was constantly yawning and my coloring was blue/gray (I didn't notice that but friends did -- who didn't tell me until post-op about it).
When I told someone I was going to see a cardio in another city for a 2nd consult, she said, "Maybe you won't have to have surgery." I said something about feeling so bad that I was worried if he didn't recommend surgery.
I went with that cardio and set up surgery during that visit for 2 weeks later (surgeon was on vacation).
I went on short-term disability that day and rested until I had my surgery.
It did take me longer to recover than my husband after his MV repair.
But 8 years later I'm doing fine.
My annual cardio recheck is on Tuesday, July 26.
Like others here, I don't want to enjoy this wonderful experience called OHS again. (Hence the decision for mechanical.) But I will -- if needed. I got through it once, I can no doubt do so again.

YES. I feel that way now Julian and I don't even have a surgery set. Somedays I feel like I can't take another day and I just want to get it done and other days, I don't think about it that much. But yes, I do wonder not physically but more on an emotional level.

It's good that you are taking Xanax. It helps. Nobody gets points for freaking out and suffering ya know? I bet you feel so much better. Right now, you are not operating at full human scale and I am sure you will notice the difference when you wake up!!

I totally understand Julian and am on your side. It's hard to not to just "lose" it. Let the pros do their thing and know that you have a full life ahead of you. I will be thinking of you on the 27th.

I have my 6 month echo tomorrow and feel anxiety just for that.

Lots of hugs dude. :tongue2:

God bless you. The whole process is an emotional roller coaster. I was also given .25 Xanax for the week approaching my surgery. My surgeon wrote me out a script after I lost it and started balling in his office after we scheduled the surgery date.
Like I tell friends and family when they ask how I am doing; It isn't exactly the most fun I've had, but I have never felt better in my life.
Hang in there, keep close to friends and family and keep the faith knowing that you will be alright and better than ever.

I hope the road to your recovery is smooth as glass!!!!

Craig

Hey Julian

Felt the same way prior to surgery, symptoms kept I thought "getting worse", in retrospect I was more likely very concious of having a problem and very tuned to any changes which always kicks in my anxiety. Went on lorazapam 5 weeks before surgery, kept busy,-took up watercolour painting then, found out I enjoyed it and contiune today getting a little more proficient with it. I find I'm given new joys in times of dispair if I look for it. Prayer definatly helps!!

Bob

Hey Julian - just checking-in to share the experience ...
I was diagnosed with AVD a couple of months ago and should (waiting lists permitting) be on-course for surgery in a couple more months time (October?).
I was talking with my wife last night and outlining (well, complaining about) most of the symptoms you were talking about ... I have the SOB, the palpitations, the chest aches, the tiredness ... although it's all a very real experience, I do wonder sometimes how much of what I'm feeling is 'real' and due to physiology that will get sorted by the surgery and how much of it is either 'perceived' or has always been there but I have been unaware of. I'm sure that, leading up to surgery, you (and I) are experiencing what is inevitably a bunch of real symptoms compounded by an increased sensitivity and awareness. Bottom line is the same though - it makes you feel XXXX.
I'm confident it will all improve radically post-surgery and am also confident I'll get there - it's just that the road ahead is a bit bumpy.
I'm sure that many on the forum would say "you're not alone in how you feel, you're quite normal, you'll be fine ..." certainly that's my message. As my cardiologist pointed out, folks like us are the lucky ones - our problems have been diagnosed and we're lined up for a well-rehearsed and proven treatment. Not everyone has that on their side. We'll be OK.
Take care - and the best of good luck for the coming weeks, months and years.
Steve

Hi Julian!

I know before my surgeries I kept myself very pre-occupied so I wouldn't think about the things yet to come. I think my current symptoms can sometimes make me very nervous and every chest pain frightens me. But by now you should have had your surgery and hopefully all went perfectly well. I hope you start to feel much better from the get-go. I bet you will. :)

Just a side note - my husband was born in Whittier. :)

And Greg... loved the video. :)

Kerri

IO
Hi Julian!

I know before my surgeries I kept myself very pre-occupied so I wouldn't think about the things yet to come. I think my current symptoms can sometimes make me very nervous and every chest pain frightens me. But by now you should have had your surgery and hopefully all went perfectly well. I hope you start to feel much better from the get-go. I bet you will. :)

Just a side note - my husband was born in Whittier. :)

And Greg... loved the video. :)

Kerri

Thanks for the well wishes! Thing went well and I'm home today, I also got a pacemaker. Do I still have some complications? Yes but we are only 7 days post op, I think I'm going to be okay. Surgery is a blessing, its not easy but its work it, Thank you Lord.

Wow your hubby was born in Whittier? Cool, I love by Rose Hill Memorial Park, ask him if he knows where that is.

Just as an update to any newcomers that may read this thread years from now. I truly felt very sick before surgery. All the symptoms mentioned on the first post of this thread were valve related. I'm now 9 days post op and many of the symptoms have disappeared, and some symptoms that still exist are less and I'm sure are due to barley being a week out of surgery. I've been home for 2 days, I was in the hospital for 8. The surgeon said my valve was very calcified and it made the surgery difficult, including a graft repair of aorta. I ended up getting a pacemaker on the sixth day. As I'm typing this I feel still weak and irritated, its hard to sleep at night. The rest of the world says I look great and am doing great so early on. My heart rate is high about 90 at rest, I'm on 25 mg of metoprolol 3 times a day.

In the world of heart valve replacement this is all very normal stuff early on in recovery, I'm truly doing great but it doesn't make it easy. Whoever may read this in the future, this whole process is very difficult but it can be done, and you will feel better once you are completely recovered. Don't give up. Just know the healing process is slow and steady for most. No need to get down when your don't feel like running around the block at 4 weeks post op.

Glad things went well for you and that you're home and feeling better! That's great news!!

My husband said his grandparents are buried in Rose Hill (we visited there on one of our trips out to see his mom, actually). He grew up in the area til his senior year in high school when he moved out to his Dad's here in Omaha.

Hope your recovery goes quickly! Take care!
Kerri

Back