Did you Consider Refusing?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I swore that, after my second surgery, I would have no more - no matter what. Fast forward 12 years and multiple TIAs later. Faced with surgery or dying, it was a no brainer for me then. I guess it was easier to "swear" when I thought everything was fixed. I would do it a fourth or fifth time too. I like being alive.

It never even entered my mind - refusing surgery. And I guess that was because my prognosis was a good one. No absolute guarantees, but the docs were smiling.

I made the same decision 5 years ago when I had my knee replaced. The doc wanted to know if I needed some time to think about it. What's to think about I said. I can't walk now, and with this surgery I should be almost back to normal. Took me all of 3 seconds to give him the go-ahead.

I don't know - here I am 63 years old, and I just can't picture myself NOT doing the things I love to do. I guess I don't want to let go. But honestly - when I am feeling as good as I do now, I feel 20 years younger.

Imagine this. About 15 years ago, after becoming a dedicated walker, my wife and I took up hiking. We went to some really nice trails all over Virginia, and did this for a few years. That kind of fell by the wayside what with my; knee problems, etc. BUT - just the other day, I told her I am ready to do some hiking again. Not just talk either. We are going to start doing it again.

Kate said:
I fought so hard to get them agree to do my surgery, I felt like celebrating when they finally gave me a date! Kate

Me too! My brother-in-law was telling people that the way I was acting you'd think I'd won a trip to Disney World.

Not an easy task!

Not an easy task!

Refusing NO, postponing, YES. I've had three so far and sooner or later I'll need my fourth mitral valve replacement. When I had the first one I was only ten and practically on my death bed so, I just did what had to be done without much knowledge of what was going on. However the second time I wanted to make sure I'd have my 15th birthday party before the operation, just in case and begged the doctor to let me wait an extra month. Then again 16 years later. My ex husband and I had already bought tickets to go to Scotland to visit his family, but when I went for an echo, it showed a very significant rupture on my valve and although it did cross my mind to back out and risk going on the trip first, I was advised not to as I probably wouldn't make through the flight. So, what I do, is live life to the fullest and hardly ever do I postpone my plans.
Debora from Brazil

When my husband, Tyce, had his AVR in '02....his words were "Let's fix it!" There was NEVER a question in his mind.....but he's like that, once he's made his mind up, go ahead with it. I, on the other hand, was the wreck, as most of the oldies here on vr know. Once I came to terms with it, I wanted it done "yesterday".....in actuality, it took about 3-4 weeks from the time he got released from our local hospital with his bout of afib till his surgery date.....the BEST THING WE'VE EVER DONE!!! (And I say WE because we both went through it together.)

Evelyn

When I was told, only two weeks after surgery to repair my regurgitant aortic valve, that it was leaking severely again and I would need another surgery, I looked at my wife and said, no way. I've been through enough, let nature take it's course.

However, I continued to visit this forum and continued to consider the consequences of inaction. I knew deep down that I would be denying myself the chance to live a long, healthy life. The odds of a successful second surgery far outweighed the odds of living even a few more good years without the surgery. In the end, I decided to gamble rather than just call it quits. I chose to play the odds. I'm now nearly six months past my second surgery and feel like I have my entire life ahead of me again.

Randy

Death is so permanent!

Death is so permanent!

With a bad valve and a pretty big aorta, I didn't hesitate when I was told it was the right thing to do. A few cardiologists that aren't as experienced with bi-cuspid defects and aneurysms were more conservative in their approach and recommended i wait to see if it gets bigger than 5.5, but that didn't make any sense to me.

Second Opinions

Second Opinions

When I was first told by my PCP that I'd need OHS, I was so shocked, and in such a state of panic and denial I did nothing for about two weeks. Luckily I had a really good PCP. He called me at work to hound me into going to the cardiologist. After the cath and stress test, I was scheduled for surgery three months later. My father was a physician, and friends with a very famous cardiologist. He insisted I get a second opinion from someone at this doctors clinic. The doc said he could put me on Lopressor(?), I'd have to quit my job, but that I should wait. I wasn't at all comfortable with waiting with an aorta threatening to burst. I pulled my head out of the sand, and called the surgeon. He told me later, that he felt they got me just in time. He could see the blood through the wall of the aorta, and my heart had doubled in size. A year later he nearly danced a jig of delight as he showed me my chest Xrays. My heart had returned to it's normal size! If I had waited, I would've gotten a different valve if I lived long enough. I also would've gone crazy with anxiety!

PegB said:
Guess I have been refusing for a while now. 15 years ago when I was still in the mild to moderate regurg. stage, they said should I should have surgery while I was still "Young and healthy and would recover fast". Now that I'm to the severe leakage stage, my Dr. still calls it "Elective" surgery. (Sounds like I'm going in for a face lift!).

Peg

It is really elective surgery, until you get to the point that your life is imminantly going to end. They referred to it that way for me as well.

As far as wanting to bolt and not have it. Damn right I thought about it, but as others have already stated. My common sense and love for my family made me forget about those selfish feelings I was having.

Refusing

Refusing

Absolutely crossed my mind many times. I didn't think I could make it-through getting to the surgery, but then went on auto-pilot about 5 days before! I was actually giving everyone directions on everything.
The surgery wasn't a piece of cake but it is only half as bad as expected!
Karen

Not for a second.

Not for a second.

My mother died of an enlarged heart when she was 32. I knew that if I left my valve alone, my heart would do the same.

After people where I work learned of what I had, several people told me of ex-husbands, brothers, uncles that had refused the surgery and died within a few years or where so dibilitated that all they could do was sit in a chair and wait for death.

I have 5 people that I NEED to be around for. There are enough fatherless children around. I didn't want to add 4 more.

I had known from the time I was 15 years old that valve replacement was somewhere down the road. When I hit 47, the symptoms came: SOB, fluid in the lungs & chronic fatique that reduced my life to nothing but laying on the couch all day. I tried to go out to wash my car one day and ended up sitting on the wet driveway leaning against the car, trying for an hour to build up enough strength to get back into the house. When my cardiologist finally said "it's time", my response was "how soon can we do it?"
At the time my cardiologist gave me three years without having the surgery. It will be six years in December. Did my seventh triathlon yesterday. No complaints here.

Mark

Very interesting thread

Very interesting thread

I remember before my surgery wanting to run away somewhere and not have to face it. But then I would come to my senses - I couldn't run away from my heart, which in my cardio's words was 'calling out.' In the weeks before surgery as my symptoms were getting worse and worse I was both dreading the surgery and feeling so grateful that I had a problem that could be fixed. And now almost 4 weeks post-op the dread is gone and just the gratitude remains.

Love,
Liz

for a while i was sure i wll refuse the surgery if doctors say its necessary .
i had strange feeling . i wanted life or death nothing between these two .
everything or nothing . i was so depressed in first days caz i thought i will have so many limitiations after the surgery and i have to ignore my active life style . in other hand i had no significant attachment to life ...specially no children so death really didnt make me scared .
but it changed step by step ...it may be boring to talk philosophicallly here! but anyway my attittude changed step by step specially when i found this site and you assured me even after the surgery we can have the same life . and now im so happy to have suche an experience . even my view to the world has changed . there are so many positive result we can find after this kind of happenings in life, no one like us enjoys his each breath :) ( of course not in period of pre or post surgery ! )

solmaz

This is a great subject -- VR veterans can certainly help those facing surgery who are frightened, scared, terrified or whatever.

I was shell-shocked when I was told 4/29/03 that I needed surgery. Duh -- I thought a doctor would wave a magic wand or give me an Rx to make all the awful symptoms disappear. NOT!
The cardio wanted to rush me into a TEE & heart cath within a couple of days and I said I had other things to do first -- finish my cat show judge's training, go to a convention, go to my niece's wedding in mid-October 2003.
The cardio then said, "You don't have that long." Dead silence.

Yes, I was terrified. I once told my husband that I believed I was having a nightmare and would wake up to find that I was just fine, no heart problem, no need for surgery, and that life would go on as before.

But I realized that, without surgery, I would not get better, that I would die. What gave me hope was knowing that many people whom I had never met had undergone heart surgery and not only survived their procedures, but their lives were greatly improved.
If they could do it, so could I.

So I followed in their footsteps.

Of course, my family and most of my friends don't understand any of my pre-op or post-op thoughts, concerns or emotions. I understand theirs, because I had been in their shoes when I sat in the waiting room years ago while my father-in-law had his heart overhauled.
That's why I appreciate everyone here -- even if I disagree with someone's stance or opinion -- because they've been there, done that. :)

That's why I appreciate everyone here -- even if I disagree with someone's stance or opinion -- because they've been there, done that.

Yes....that is exactly it. Who but those who have 'been there, done that' can fully understand.

Incredible contributions.
This is an internet community like no other....amazing people. A true treasure.

Yes I wanted to deny it and planned on it. Figured if it was my time then fine it was my time.. But my dh and my children took over.. I realized that I was being very selfish.

But then again I remember being in the or for my c-section (probably all 4 of them) and refusing.. telling them I just wasn't going to do it.. the baby could stay in there forever:eek: How sillly of me.!

Latest posts

Back